1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No wiper fluid out of the rear wiper?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by rocketpaul, Nov 20, 2013.

1. rocketpaul

rocketpaul New Member

I suspect this is a silly question but bare with me. Basically i ran out of wiper fluid, refilled the wiper fluid tank, but now no fluid comes out the rare wiper. Does the rare wiper have a different tank or something, or is mine broken? I have looked at the jet holes but they seem fine. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. rikia93

rikia93 New Member

I had a rubber seal inside the motor fail and it caused washer fluid to pour down the inside of the boot into the spare tyre well. You could try unclipping the jet nozzle from the window wiper motor shaft and blowing it out with an airline!
    rocketpaul likes this.
  3. joe_echo

joe_echo Member

The pipe work leading to the washer had become disconnected. Take the boot trim and check the one connected to the motor first, if it's not that one is behind the sub enclosure.
    rocketpaul likes this.
  4. rocketpaul

rocketpaul New Member

great advice guys, will attempt to do the above, thanks.
  5. andyam

andyam Member

Mine initially was the pipe became disconnected then when popped back on worked fine. Next winter came and it stopped the jets themselves got blocked up all the way down to the motor needed a new one. But never changed it.
    rocketpaul likes this.
  6. Artimus

Artimus Short Back

Mine was just bits of crud blocking the nozzles (there are two)! Try clearing them with a pin before taking anything apart.
    rocketpaul likes this.
  7. nezz

nezz Member

Mine same as above jet washed the nozzle at the cleaners might be worth a go before you remove anything.
    rocketpaul likes this.
  8. rocketpaul

rocketpaul New Member

Well after a month with a non functioning rear washer, i go to the car to test out everyones ideas only to find out the damn thing works again. At least this thread will hopefully be help to someone else. Thanks again gents.
  9. Jack s3

Jack s3 Member

Bet you any money its because its started to get near freezing now so the pipe had probably blocked of a morning
  10. S3_Jacko

S3_Jacko Well-Known Member

Easiest way to test this for anyone with the same issue...

just remove the rear nozzle completely and then see if the water shoots out in a straight line.. If it does, blocked nozzle..

If it doesnt then check the pipe hasnt came loose by removing the rear bootlid trim... Just watch you dont cover your bootlid lock in fluid though or you'll have endless fun with your alarm... :)
  11. JJ.Foulds

JJ.Foulds Well-Known Member

well mine doesnt work so thanks for this thread! i might get round to actually testing it now! :)
  12. Artimus

Artimus Short Back

Just to add... If the nozzles are blocked & you keep testing without success, the pump pressure can actually blow the pipe off a connector! Which should be your second check. :)
  13. foursprungdugtechnique

foursprungdugtechnique Member

You can also remove the jet by pulling the plastic jet part out, try the pump to see if there is anything coming out without the back pressure that would be created by the jet nozzle.
    I had a blocked jet that a pin had no effect on so I got the smallest drill bit I had and drilled gently to remove the crud that had collected and blocked it from inside.
    Works perfectly now
  14. c_w

c_w Active Member

I attempted a fix on my wiper motor a few weeks ago. I was getting no water out either, and when I remove the arm bolt cover and then the small jet water did come out, put the jet back on and it appeared to work ok, but water was pouringout of the motor itself inside the boot. This was the seal that rikia93 mentioned. It is a daft design and basically a rubber washer prevents water filling the motor itself with water (as the water is fed through the centre of the motor).

If the seal goes the motor usually becomes full of rusty water mixed with grease. I cleaned the whole lot up and didn't have a small o-ring to packout the rubber seal so used a ring of sealant on the rubber seal, packed the gears with greased and bolted it back up. Hopefully should be ok.