no turbo power

sahk

Reaction score
I have a 110 bhp passat (1999) 1.9 tdi (105k on the clock)

I used to get a blank spot at 3100 revs ie the car would stutter and would not go any further on the rev counter (the problem was intermitent and you felt it most on 3rd gear).

Today, I was driving down the M6 and it felt like I have lost power altogether. There was no turbo what so ever and the car would accelerate very, very slowly. This happened on all of the gears for about 80 miles. (It felt like some has stolen the turbo from the car). However, when i got to my destination and let the car rest for about an hour, I took it out for a drive. The car was perfect, I drove back from Birmingham (100 miles) and the car was perfect.

Now I am very confused, any idea what the problem can be. Has anyone had this problem with their car. Any help would be appreciated.

What was the weather like whilst out?? Outside temp?? any ideas???

sounds like it was going into limp mode, sometimes it does it and it can be resolved by restarting the car.

The waether was about 0 to 1 degrees max. It was cold.

Hi sahk, definitely sounds like the engine going inot 'limp' mode mate. Had the same thing happen to my Passat Tdi aswell whilt doing about 100 mph, just turn the ignition off then back on again to reset. However, if it still persists, then you should get it checked out.

An Obscure possibility, but more than likely what the others say.... But my thoughts were a "Frozen" Waste Gate, Not unheard of but extremely rare.... had it once before up here in Scotland, temp was Minus 4-6 hence the question of temp...Just a thought...

I been running it all day today and it seems to be fine.

Like you all say, it seems like it went into limp mode and turning it off solved the problem. I will give it a few days to see if it gives me further problems.

Thanks for all your help.

No lights came on on the dash.

The car is still running fine now, been driving it for about 5 days. When the MAF goes is the problem there all the time or is it on and off.