No sedan pricing for me for another 4 months

Messi_alli

Reaction score
So got some bad news today from my dealer which is the only one in my country that the S3 sedan pricing and specs wont be available for another 4 months minimum. This means that is the pricing and specs are to my satisfaction, i would have to wait another 4 months for delivery which means 8 months in total. The problem is i am the middle of selling my JCW Mini as the dealer told me pricing should have been available to me by now. The sportback is available btw. What would you do. If i cancel my sale on on my JCW Mini, I would definitely get less next year and therefore the S3 would be more of a stretch to me. It also assumes that i would get the specific spec of the S3 sedan I want. We tend not to get all the available specs on cars owing to our regional and restrictions. For eg, sometimes the wheel upgrades are not an option. I do like the sportback a lot and from my other threads, I find the SB looks better from the back and side. I think the sedan looks better in front.

I'm not sure where you are but it sounds horribly vague. If I were you then I'd go Sportback as you say you like it anyway. I'm not sure there is any difference between the fronts of sedan or SB but I could be wrong. At least with the SB you get the nice detail in front of the front wheels which you don't get with the sedan so there's a positive!
Otherwise, as you say, your current car will have dropped in value, and think of all those wonderful driving months you'll be missing :)

I live in Trinidad in the West Indies. Because we are so small, we are normally treated as part of the Latin American Region in terms of these things. We get what you call the "Latam spec" just as some of you would get euro spec or uk spec. I do like the sportback and i have read all the reviews of people who prefer the sedan vs sportback or vice versa etc. I have two choices here:

1. continue with the sale of my MINI JCW ( my buyer is close to getting his financing approved) and order a sport back s3 which would probably take 90-120 days

2. Dont sell my mini JCW and wait for specs and pricing for S3 sedan in 4 months time with a further wait of 3-4 months for delivery. This could mean for me, a lower sale value for my JCW Mini and also an unknown price for the S3 sedan in 4 months time.

I'm not sure where you are but it sounds horribly vague. If I were you then I'd go Sportback as you say you like it anyway. I'm not sure there is any difference between the fronts of sedan or SB but I could be wrong. At least with the SB you get the nice detail in front of the front wheels which you don't get with the sedan so there's a positive!
Otherwise, as you say, your current car will have dropped in value, and think of all those wonderful driving months you'll be missing :)
the main difference as far as I can tell between SB and Saloon is the little part under the grill is also in aluminum. i guess also there are dimension differences.

Just a suggestion..

Alternatively, you could sell the Mini now as planned, quickly buy some $1000 piece of cr*p car to use for the next 8 or so months (keeping in mind it's already depreciated at it's maximum so you probably wont lose any more money, and if you polish it up a bit you might even make some cash on it); then sell the piece of cr*p when the new S3 Sedan arrives and enjoy :)

Reactions: Pulp84
the main difference as far as I can tell between SB and Saloon is the little part under the grill is also in aluminum. i guess also there are dimension differences.
There are no common body panels between the sb and the saloon as far as I know. The saloon is a completely new body shell as the dimensions are different, thus no body parts can be exchanged.

The saloon is also far better looking overall, and a more rigid body shell due to the 3-box format. It's worth the wait ;)

There are no common body panels between the sb and the saloon as far as I know. The saloon is a completely new body shell as the dimensions are different, thus no body parts can be exchanged.

What the OP was talking about was not the panels but the look of the car from different angles:

Messi_Alli: "I find the SB looks better from the back and side. I think the sedan looks better in front."

I didn't know they looked different from the front other than the sedan doesn't have the nice detail that the SB and 3 door have:

2013 audi a3 12 1920x1080 copy

It's obviously your choice, you need to weigh up the fact that your first pick is the saloon, against the fact you could probably have a sportsback earlier.

If you were coming from another salon, sorry sedan rather than a Mini then I could understand a huge weighting in favour of a similar layout. However, I've picked something in the past for expediency and every time you see another S3 Sedan (which might be unlikely given where you are) you'll think, gosh I wish I'd waited.......

I think you should give serious thought to echo_mikes suggestion. That has worked for me in the past.

thanks guys for the suggestions. there will be little to no s3 sedans here. We do have a couple a3 sedans. Honestly, I did like the SB more, then I showed my wife the sedan online and she said she preferred the sedan. Then I took her to see the sportback in person and she was honestly surprised how good it looked in the flesh. I still find the SB looks sportier and the sedan looks more grown up. I am a hatch person tho so I could be biased. Hell I drive a Mini!! With regard to buying a "beater" here, that's risky here. I could end up losing esp if the piece of crap needs mechanical work.

I still find the SB looks sportier and the sedan looks more grown up.

Yep I think you are spot on with that description. I think it is partly due to the feature I showed - so go for it, you know you want your S3 sooner rather than later. Just have a look at the pictures thread of S3 in Sepang (or Glacier White!) and you'll be totally convinced!

Last edited:
thats for sure, i do want my s3 faster. Selling my mini is also difficult here so if i have a sale, i need to take it. Waiting 8 months after that.. well thats another story. I dont know how so many of you wait 7 months.

Just test drove the missano red sportback s-tronic. I am coming from a 6fwd JCW and I can tell you that freaking S-tronic is an absolute blast to drive. Honestly, i have made my mind up.. the sportback is sick!! i love it and pictures dont do the misano red justice. The SB has this hunckered down stance that is really appealing.

Reactions: glospete
So just placed my order!!!! Now the wait begins. we dont have the usual packages that you all have so I would list as much as possible the specs it will be coming with

Sportback - S-tronic - Missano Red
LED headlights
Pano roof
Super Sport Seats
Interior Light Pack
Sports Suspension
Bang & Olufsen
Tornado red calipers

Can't wait!!! I am gonna go crazy

Have no idea.. dealer just said 3-4 months is best case.. here things operate a bit slower!!