no power feed to rear wiper motor a4 avant 2004 HELP

ramsey

Reaction score
A4 Avant 2004 Quattro Tdi

Hi to you all guys hope one or more of you can help me.
new to this site so hope im posting in the right section !!!
my problem is this
my rear wiper stopped working last week, so i assumed the motor had packed up
1. removed motor and stripped it, ( thought i would try and clean it up and try and repair before spending money on new one :huh:)
2. connected motor back up but no joy
3. checked fuses all ok
4. checked relay, can hear it clicking so i assume thats ok ?
5. found that i had no power/feed to the connector which plugs into the motor

so my question is this, if the fuses and relay are fine where could i be loosing my feed from ?
i have also checked the wiring behind the tailgate hinge where it bends into the body and cant find any breaks

i am lost so any help would be greatfully received :hi:

my b7 is like yours
no breaks in wires relay fine fuse fine motor fine
works when it wants not very offen tho

A4 Avant 2004 Quattro Tdi

Hi to you all guys hope one or more of you can help me.
new to this site so hope im posting in the right section !!!
my problem is this
my rear wiper stopped working last week, so i assumed the motor had packed up
1. removed motor and stripped it, ( thought i would try and clean it up and try and repair before spending money on new one :huh:)
2. connected motor back up but no joy
3. checked fuses all ok
4. checked relay, can hear it clicking so i assume thats ok ?
5. found that i had no power/feed to the connector which plugs into the motor

so my question is this, if the fuses and relay are fine where could i be loosing my feed from ?
i have also checked the wiring behind the tailgate hinge where it bends into the body and cant find any breaks

i am lost so any help would be greatfully received :hi:

Hi, welcome to ASN. Hope you enjoy the forum. :)

Welcome :hi:

The most common failure is a break in the wire at the hinge point. I'd have another look at this unless you're 100% it's ok.

hi, thanks for your reply.
do you know if there any connection points in the harness ? i.e from the fuse to the connector ( cant imagine its just one length)
just thinking about doing a continuity check at least it would give me a start in trying to find where the break in cable would be..
again thank you :salute:

Yesterday morning my rear wiper did half a sweep and stopped vertically instead of parking. At lunchtime I checked the fuse (it's a common fuse for front and rear wipers - how daft is that?), which was OK and on replacing the fuse the rear wiper moved to the horizontal - but on the wrong side - so I knew I had a faulty wiper motor.

On my way home from work I saw white smoke drifting up from the rear wiper and smelt burning electrical smells! Stopped, opened the tailgate to check for anything worse (I carry a fire extinguisher) and popped the wiper fuse. Of course it rained on the remaining mile to home, but I had no front wipers!

I rang my wife who works next door to Southampton Audi, she collected a replacement rear wiper motor on her way home. By the time she got home I had the tailgate trim off and had the new motor fitted and the tailgate back together within 15 minutes of her getting home.

The wiper motor had overheated and destroyed the bearing which jammed the motor, the park electronics in the motor then overheated keeping the jammed motor powered - which is what made the white smoke.

P8171442A

P8171441A

Was just going to say change the motor. It's a common fault. Usually the seal for the washer fails and when you use the wash wipe the motor gets flooded with water and either shorts out or turns everything to rust.