no power at glow plugs..

jbh

TDi lover
Reaction score
Website
www.retrobmw.co.uk
so over the last week ive noticed the car a little hesitant to start so after a few checks ive discovered ive no power getting to the glow plugs..
does anyone know if there's a fuse or a relay I can check before I go digging into the loom?

after a bit of searching ive discovered if I unplug the temp sensor im getting power to the glow plugs.. so new temp sensor is on the list.

now heres the strange one.... im getting power to the glow plugs when the cars running.. even with the temp sensor plugged in or unplugged.

Does the relay not have a 'run on' glow plug feature to keep the combustion chamber at a set temperature until the engine is up to temperature?how long after you had it running did you check to see if there was power at the glow plugs?

Does the relay not have a 'run on' glow plug feature to keep the combustion chamber at a set temperature until the engine is up to temperature?how long after you had it running did you check to see if there was power at the glow plugs?
.Yea I read that last night. Im going to leave it running for a bit today and check it.
last night it was just a quick check with the meter to see what was happening with the temp sensor unplugged and it powered the glow plugs and started instantly but then once it was running I spotted power still there and I was thinking this is wrong...

yeh the glows stay on for a few minutes after starting.

Unplugging the temp sensor will put it into safe mode and run the plugs every startup, have you considered that maybe the ECU didnt turn the plugs on because it decided they werent required as the engine was already sufficiently warm?

Surely first approach should be to get VCDS onto the car and see what the live data from the temp sensor is, if its correct or not, then decide if it actually needs replaced.

And dont buy a fake sensor, get a genuine one from the dealer, the copy ones are pap.

yeh the glows stay on for a few minutes after starting.

Unplugging the temp sensor will put it into safe mode and run the plugs every startup, have you considered that maybe the ECU didnt turn the plugs on because it decided they weren't required as the engine was already sufficiently warm?

Hi Kev yea the car hadn't been running at all when I checked it. I also went out first thing this morning and tried it again with the temp sensor plugged in no power there. but unplugged the sensor and got power and the car started first turn of the key.

Im hoping to get a shot of my mates laptop later to run vcds on it as my laptop has died ( can anyone re solder a gpu chip? )

And don't buy a fake sensor, get a genuine one from the dealer, the copy ones are pap.

that's the plan going to call the dealers shortly and order one from them.

If its one of the Nvidia 8xxx series GPUs its not fixable, its a problem on the Die.

If its something else, you can try solder reflow in the oven, have a read online you'll find some instructions.

If its one of the Nvidia 8xxx series GPUs its not fixable, its a problem on the Die.

If its something else, you can try solder reflow in the oven, have a read online you'll find some instructions.

its the ATI Radeon X1250 chip its a Toshiba Satellite L350D ive tried to find a few guides but no joy yet.

I have used a hot air gun to reflow GPU chips on playstation 3's before now with plenty of success. I'd rather use the hot air gun than the oven method, but that's my opinion.

My old laptop died too causing me to lose my VCDS. My new which I got yesterday, I found out VCDS won't run on Windows (RT) 8.1 because it's an AMD A8 cpu and not a x86 cpu.

Gutted.

My nephew has a shot of my wee Philips freevents laptop but I should be getting that back today or tomorrow so once that's back ill put vcds onto that again.

Ive spoke to a local pc repair place about the toshiba the boy in there ive known for years he says hes interested in it for spares for a machine he has sitting and will do me a deal on one of the 2nd hand machines he has sitting... this should keep the wife happy so might just nip down and see him later.

My old laptop died too causing me to lose my VCDS. My new which I got yesterday, I found out VCDS won't run on Windows (RT) 8.1 because it's an AMD A8 cpu and not a x86 cpu.

What?

AMD's APU range (A6/A8/A10 etc) are fully compatible with x86 architecture...

Windows RT doesnt run on laptops or x86 either, RT is designed for tablet type computers with ARM processors?

So is it an AMD A8 or is it Windows RT? It cant be both :p

Kev I get the impression you like to play with the odd computer or 2.. it could be the case fan screws that were used to hold the vent locked in place where you had the boost gauge that also gave it away... ( or am I even sadder for knowing exactly what the screws were for?.. )

out of interest what specs is your current rig?

What?

AMD's APU range (A6/A8/A10 etc) are fully compatible with x86 architecture...

Windows RT doesnt run on laptops or x86 either, RT is designed for tablet type computers with ARM processors?

So is it an AMD A8 or is it Windows RT? It cant be both :p

It's AMD A8 with windows 8.1 but when I try to install VCDS Lite it states it can't be installed on this version of Windows RT.
So mine must be both. lol

I've got a HP Pavillion 15 P621sa from PcWorld for my sins!

It cant be Windows RT then! What version of VCDS are you trying to install? All sounds very odd! I'd ping Rosstech an email.

Yeh i dont like 8 either, still on 7 here as well. 10 does seem promising, will see what its like when it comes along.

james: My desktop isnt that fancy any more, i had exotic stuff in the past including a dual processor Athlon XP machine for many years, but nowadays its a Intel i5-4570S on an Asus B85M-E, 128GB SSD and 8GB of RAM. Most of the bits came from ebay used as well. Just using the onboard GPU as well now, as it happily drives the three monitors. I did have a Radeon 7750 for a while but it just wasnt used so i sold it. Laptop is a Thinkpad T430s (again SSD and 8gb RAM, cant use a PC without an SSD now, its ****** horrible). Also got a mediabox/file server which runs Ubuntu and XBMC.

Reactions: jbh
james: My desktop isnt that fancy any more, i had exotic stuff in the past including a dual processor Athlon XP machine for many years, but nowadays its a Intel i5-4570S on an Asus B85M-E, 128GB SSD and 8GB of RAM. Most of the bits came from ebay used as well. Just using the onboard GPU as well now, as it happily drives the three monitors. I did have a Radeon 7750 for a while but it just wasnt used so i sold it. Laptop is a Thinkpad T430s (again SSD and 8gb RAM, cant use a PC without an SSD now, its ****** horrible). Also got a mediabox/file server which runs Ubuntu and XBMC.

yea I agree with the SSD ive got one in my main machine and when I use anything else it feels so slow.. my plan is to get a 256gb SSD for my main machine and stick my 128gb into my laptop at some point.
my pc is running an FX-8350 on an Asus Sabbertooth revision 2 board, 128gb samsiung SSD, 16GB of ram with an MSI TF Radeon 7950 boost edition
Ive not done any upgrades for a while but still keep being drawn towards the Radeon R9 290x graphics cards.. but the old 7950 is still going strong

on the plus side.. I got my Philips freevents back of my nephew so Ive managed to run a scan and it has told me my coolant sensor was knackered. I found a coolant sensor in the garage from the silver avant and fitted that and I got my heater plugs working again.

I used AMD for years, but they seemed to just go off the rails and lose it. The Athlon 64 era had them ******* all over Intel, but they somehow managed to completely fk up their advantage and just sit on their hands waiting for intel to catch up and overtake them again, then they had nothing to compete. The botched launch of the K10 chips didnt help either and their next big thing the Bulldozer/FX series came in waaay under target with respect of performance unless the application was heavily threaded.

They've somehow managed to end up back where they were 15-20 years ago, mainly providing cheap chips for low end budget PCs. The FX series are decent midrange performers, and your chip probably matches pretty closely with mine in terms of price and performance, but they've still on the back foot with single threaded performance (which hurts gaming) and thus most of the folks buying the higher end gaming type systems will always just go Intel.

As for the GPU, theres not a huge difference tbh. 7950 is the same as an R9-280, and the step up from there to the 280x and 290x isnt massive. Probably best waiting for this coming generation.

As for the GPU, theres not a huge difference tbh. 7950 is the same as an R9-280, and the step up from there to the 280x and 290x isnt massive. Probably best waiting for this coming generation.
yea the new range is here. again though as you say im not sure there's still much difference unless I go to the top of the line card.
Ive been looking at the Intel cards lately and half tempted to go with one of them.

I done a deal on my philips freevents laptop on a Dell E6400 which seems to run pretty sweet it has a core2 duo 2.6GHz cpu and 4gb of ram just need an ssd for it now.

I had an E4300 for a few years, same thing as yours just 13" rather than 14. Decent enough machines, nice and sturdy. Mine had 8gb of ram and an SSD and was pretty fast. I always stick to the business class machines as they're far superior in build quality to the home/consumer ranges. Saying that, the T430s has cracked at the corner of the palm rest, which is a bit of a letdown given Thinkpads usual reputation.

I do like the thinkpad range. I had the T61 a few years back it was a great machine.
I was looking at the T410 but then got offered the E6400 on a swap for the Philips so ended out with that instead.

Yeh the wife had a T410 until christmas. She plays games on it and the graphics werent good enough, managed to get a T440 for a steal so got that and sold the T410.