1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No New S3 !!??!!

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by noslojo, Nov 10, 2005.

1. noslojo

noslojo Member

Could this signal the end of the S3 replacement ? From this months EVO

What do you reckon ? I like the idea of having a 2+2 coupe as I have kids that need fitting in the back. Don't think much of "Shooting Brake" as a name though. Didn't Aston Martin use that name for an estate version some years back?

EVO article

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As a side note I've just put a replica set of those alloys on my S3 - pics to follow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Kev
  2. noslojo

noslojo Member

Here's the article for those who are not members of the EVO site:

Rather than fighting for the limelight during September's launch-heavy Frankfurt motor show, Audi chose Tokyo to unveil this thinly disguised replacement for the TT, expected to hit UK shores by the end of 2006. And although Audi will continue to offer coupe and convertible versions of the TT, the Tokyo concept is a long-roofed affair called the Shooting Brake.

Set to become the third model in the TT line-up, the Shooting Brake is notionally a four-seater, and given that it also has a rear hatch, it seems likely to spell the end of the S3 derivative from the regular A3 hatchback range. The four-seater configuration means that it could also steal sales from the strictly two-seat BMW Z4 Coupe in the crucial US market, where rear chairs, no matter how uncomfortable, are seen to be an advantage.

While the concept car sports glitzy chrome teeth in its gaping mouth, production versions of the new TT are expected to follow the current family style of black slats with the four-ring logo and number-plate located within the grille enclosure. The new interior echoes the general style of the current TT, but loses the distinctive 'grab handles' on the side of the centre console. However, the interior treatment remains highly stylised and it will offer more options than previously, including a large 'infotainment' screen beneath the three central facia vents with advanced graphics for its satnav function. What you see pictured here is pretty much what the finished production version will look like.

For the Shooting Brake concept Audi has fitted a 250bhp 3.2-litre V6 under its sharply creased bonnet, and the line-up for the production TT should follow broadly similar lines to what we have now, starting with a sub-200bhp front-driver and rising through increasingly more powerful four-cylinder turbo units before topping out at the V6. Changes to the quattro
    drivetrain should echo the shift towards a rear-biased torque-split introduced in the RS4 as part of Audi's bid to make its sports models more interesting to drive.

Official word is that Audi will watch public reaction to the Shooting Brake before deciding its future, but the concept is too well executed and the threat from the ultra-stylish Z4 Coupe too real for it not to be added to the TT range. And there's plenty of enthusiasm for the car internally. Audi brand head of design Walter de'Silva said: 'I hope from a design point of view that it (the Shooting Brake) goes into production - this shows a different face to that people have seen before.

'You will recognise the new TT immediately when you see it, as the coupe and roadster will be quite close to the current car in style, but the Shooting Brake is something different; it's a unisex car and is more likely to appeal to women. The TT will be far more masculine.'

Chances are that 'concept' versions of the coupe and rag-top will surface at next year's Geneva show in March, before production models get a public airing at Paris in the autumn.
  3. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

hard to be too sure from the pictures but I like it with the exception of the mirrors.
  4. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

I like most of the new audi concepts that one included, you never know in a few years I may get one, but I doubt it!
  5. Banwell

Banwell previously LeeS3

Yep as an evo subscriber and I read that article with interest. I agree the chances of an S3 are incredibly slim now.
  6. robthehungrymonkey

robthehungrymonkey Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Yep as an evo subscriber and I read that article with interest. I agree the chances of an S3 are incredibly slim now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, What do you think this would have done for the value of our S3's. I think a new S3 would have raised the profile of the old S3, especially if it had a very powerful engine, the prices and ages would have been too different to compete. Shame.

(but I do like the concept)
  7. marctwo

marctwo Member

I would have thought that no new S3 would be good news for the value of our cars? Maybe I am just hopeful??
  8. god_thats_quick

I would think in the long term your right Marc, as it could end up being the only S3 ever made... will turn into a classic I would have thought if they don't make another one!
  9. marctwo

marctwo Member

I guess. Thing is, I can't really think of another car I would rather have right now so no need to worry just yet!
  10. nervus

nervus Active Member

My S3 is my everyday driver and when the warranty is up in may i need a new replacement.

I can't think of anything on the market right now which will fit the bill for me.

It has to be brand new with 3yrs warranty, Turbocharged, 4WD, 200 bhp + out of the box and understated. Oh and european - no rice!

Any ideas???
  11. god_thats_quick

A3 2.0T Quattro like the one I was looking at in audi with a chip done by the dealer before delivery?
  12. nervus

nervus Active Member

Thats only available in the sportback though right?

Does Audi honour the warranty with the dealer chip?
  13. god_thats_quick

I know wayside Audi use AmD and the warranty is kept, not sure about the others but I would think that's the main point in getting the dealer to sort it.

on the Audi website is shows a normal A3 with the below description...

A3 2.0 T FSI quattro S line Manual

Why not just get the extended warranty for the S3 though?
  14. robthehungrymonkey

[ QUOTE ]
    I would think in the long term your right Marc, as it could end up being the only S3 ever made... will turn into a classic I would have thought if they don't make another one!

[/ QUOTE ]

My feeling was that most people still see it as an A3, rather than an S model. Whereas an S4 is closer to an M3 in terms of (relative) desireability compared to the A4 and 3 series. People recognise them.

Well that was my thinking anyway, I'm hoping you're right Ben as I like the idea of driving a modern classic!
  15. AL_B

AL_B Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    My S3 is my everyday driver and when the warranty is up in may i need a new replacement.

I can't think of anything on the market right now which will fit the bill for me.

It has to be brand new with 3yrs warranty, Turbocharged, 4WD, 200 bhp + out of the box and understated. Oh and european - no rice!

Any ideas???

[/ QUOTE ]

That is exactly how I feel. There is just nothing which appeals to me out there, that combines quality, class, gorgeous interior, 4wd, 200bhp+.

Yep there's the A3 3.2Q, but I'm sorry lads, the interior doesn't do much for me, nor does that bloody speed-sensitive steering. That's what puts me off. Great engine though.

AL
  16. amb276s3

amb276s3 bird spotter

Only last week my stealer informed me of a new S3, 310hp due autumn 06, it was one of many new models disussed in a national meeting.........i know , we've heard it all before.
  17. Ryanc

Ryanc Active Member

Those salesmen make me laugh,only the absolute top brass and german designers know what is coming and it will be top secret until about 2 months from launch.
  18. The Slug

The Slug Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I know wayside Audi use AmD and the warranty is kept, not sure about the others but I would think that's the main point in getting the dealer to sort it.

on the Audi website is shows a normal A3 with the below description...

A3 2.0 T FSI quattro S line Manual

Why not just get the extended warranty for the S3 though?

[/ QUOTE ]

LISTERS in Coventry use AmD too and warranty is kept.
  19. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Only last week my stealer informed me of a new S3, 310hp due autumn 06, it was one of many new models disussed in a national meeting.........i know , we've heard it all before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did they also mention that they were taking deposits for the new S3 aswell? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
  20. halegavin

halegavin Member

what ever happens. id like around 300bhp turbo. I drove a 3.2 tt. Felt slower than my s3 before i had i chipped. DSG was good though.
  21. Ryanc

Ryanc Active Member

300bhp isn't going to happen,270max if they make one.
  22. noslojo

noslojo Member

What I like about it, is that there would be no standard derivative ie No A3 1.6 etc that makes the S3 look like a tarted up standard hatch (no offence to ANY A3 owners as it is just what others may perceive)
    I'm thinking about the way the TT is a model in it's own right even though it shares parts and floorpan with other Audi/VW models. So having a TT coupe and the Shooting Brake 2+2 version is a bit like a Boxster and Cayman which I feel in turn would give the sporting models more kudos than a standard car which has been "sportificated". NOw if Audi actually tried to make them genuine drivers cars too then that really would be the icing on the cake and could also mean that many wouldn't look to Porsches etc as a move up.

Kev
  23. TDI-line

TDI-line Uber Post Whore

Sorry, but i can't see no similiarity to the current shape A3 for this to be the new S3.

Unless Audi will just drop the S3 in all but name, but then that wouldn't fit in with the range. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif
  24. noslojo

noslojo Member

erm, that's the point I was trying to make - if they have a Shooting Brake model then where is the need for an S3 as the two would conflict but as the S4, RS4 6 8 etc are all larger and four door then they don't conflixt with the Shooting Brake concept.

Other reports also stated that Audi were considering dropping the S3 but keeping S?RS4 6 etc and this concept only adds fuel to that rumour. At the end of the day it's all rumours until Audi officially annouce otherwise but it keep us talking (and soeties hoping) doesn't it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Kev
  25. Banwell

Banwell previously LeeS3

lets not judge the 3.2 on its interior...

& I too drove a manual 3.2 tt and thought it was nothing special.

Lets me say though - I drove a 3.2 Dsg A3 and bought it on the spot.

My S3 was well sorted - but the new A3 3.2 is any match for an S3.

I've been progressively throwing it down the same roads as the S3 the A3 has it I am afraid, light steering or not. That new chasis is more than a match for the old one, and so far no hint of understeer..

Dream on - a 310 bhp S3? no chance.
  26. nervus

nervus Active Member

If a new S3 is produced with less than 50bhp more than the 3.2Q then there is just no point in it IMO. What would be the point in bringing out an 'S' car if it has similar power to existing run of the mill A3's???

With the last one the nearest A3's power was 45hp down on the S3 making it worth the extra lolly.

I really think Audi need a quick well sorted car in this bracket to attract M3 sales and stand out from VW. At the minute VW's GTI and R32 are more desirable than the audi versions.
  27. robthehungrymonkey

[ QUOTE ]
    lets not judge the 3.2 on its interior...

& I too drove a manual 3.2 tt and thought it was nothing special.

Lets me say though - I drove a 3.2 Dsg A3 and bought it on the spot.

My S3 was well sorted - but the new A3 3.2 is any match for an S3.

I've been progressively throwing it down the same roads as the S3 the A3 has it I am afraid, light steering or not. That new chasis is more than a match for the old one, and so far no hint of understeer..

Dream on - a 310 bhp S3? no chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure that the chassis is an improvement. But I thought the 3.2 (with DSG) was very dissapointing. It felt slower than my S3 which was standard at the time and is just set up as a "soft cruisy car" the suspension is just far too soft, the steering too light and even further removed of any feel.
    I just didn't like it.

The DSG gearbox was great though, not sure wether the novelty value would wear off or not, but it was great fun.
  28. nervus

nervus Active Member

I test drove a 3.2 and found i loved it. It was as hard as my S3 with gmbh suspension and definately had the edge in terms of my perception of its handling.

It definately gave me more confidence to push it more than the S3 does and seemed to be able to turn in with more pace as didn't understeer as much, in fact it seemed to want to oversteer which i have since been told is impossible.

The thing that lets it down is its lack of standard options vs. £££ and it just looks like any other A3 in the range which i know appeals to alot of people but not me.
  29. Banwell

Banwell previously LeeS3

Try an extended test drive..
  30. Ryanc

Ryanc Active Member

They would have to make it lightweight like the rs4 too have a chance.