No ignition control over radio and no rear speaker

Allroader

Audi 3.0 V6 TDIs every time
Reaction score
I'm posting this issue I resolved in case it of use.

I have just bought a 2005 A3 with a double DIN Audi symphony unit that has had an iPod/Phone + Aux lead added.

The person who fit that simply unplugged the longer (often 3 part split) iso connector for external cd changer/CAN/rear speakers and amp and plugged into the external CD changer section.

So I had an Aux lead lead (old style but universal plug into your music sources headphone socket) and an 'Apple' 'lightning' connector that has no use for me on android or any current Apple devices people have tried

Worst of all was the unit stayed on with ignition off or key removed plus sound was somewhat reduced without any signal going to the rear speakers or amp.

The fix was to make up a bundle of wires that run from the old loom connector to the corresponding pins in the audi unit.

The radio now comes on and off as it should an I have proper volume.

The stuff above is really for users of Audi units. The key for you is to make sure you understand what you have from the Audi loom that isn't connected to your new piece of ICE.

For aftermarket units what you're going to have unconnected is a wire that connects to the ignition 'signal' NOT simply switched live. Possibly a yellow wire labelled remote. Until you do this the Audi systems (CAN) will not be kept in the loop over the status of the radio and amp. Battery drain is likely and if you have a fault code reader there is likely to be 01304 CAN network gateway - Radio awaiting attention.

How you connect the Audi loom CAN high and low to your non Audi unit is what you need to know.

I remember fitting an aftermarket unit to my B6 A4, took a bit of figuring but got there in the end using a Connects2 canbus interface that provided ignition switched live to my aftermarket headunit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk