1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NO heat at all ever

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by caddog, Mar 17, 2008.

1. caddog

caddog New Member

[Mar 17, 2008]
    The heaters in my 98 A4 have not worked since I bought the thing, a mechanic had a look and flushed the hoses but still nada, can anyone give me some fault finding advice or am I being to general with my problem, any help would be appreciated

Stewart
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 21, 2014]

3. Siena

Siena Active Member

[Mar 17, 2008]
    Has it got climate control? Make sure the control flaps are working. I'd get it checked with VAG-COM or similar.

If the temperature drops at sustained cruising speeds, then the thermostat is suspect, stuck open, and allowing the engine to over cool.
  4. caddog

caddog New Member

[Mar 17, 2008]
    Thanks Siena will do
  5. AUDI TURBO

AUDI TURBO Member

[Mar 17, 2008]
    MY CLIMATE CONTROL has a mind of its own it goes up and down altering the fan speed?
  6. Blue_Thunder

Blue_Thunder Active Member

[Mar 17, 2008]
    On pre-facelift sometimes one of the temp sensors (there are two in the cabin) can get clogged up. It's the little mesh of holes on the climate unit. Get an old tooth brush and give it a good clean.
  7. AUDI TURBO

AUDI TURBO Member

[Mar 25, 2008]
    ahhhhhhhhhhh i see i dint know taht it also seems to be blowing warm all the time even at 18 c i will try that
  8. joost

joost Active Member

[Mar 25, 2008]
    Mine's doing the same - like Siena said, it's most likely the temp control flap sticking. Allegedly, it's a dash-out job to sort hence why I've not even attempted it yet.
    Mine changes from sauna to cryogenics chamber at the drop of a hat. I'm keeping warm at the mo so I'm not overly fussed. Knowing my luck it'll try to freeze my moobs off in the morning.

The fan speed may be due to the fact that the climate unit won't blow through certain vents until the engine has started warming up. Once the engine temp starts increasing, the fan speed will increase too IIRC.