1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Coolant..

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by audimatt, Aug 14, 2009.

1. audimatt

audimatt Member

[Aug 14, 2009]
    Hello again...

I was driving today, when the coolant light warning come up on the dash- i picked the car up about 3 weeks ago and it was serviced, and the water was topped up. Ive covered probably about 1000 miles, and the car has been fine, stayed at 90c every trip, for the whole journey.

When i checked the water after the light came on, it was well below the mininum. I looked for obvious signs for head gasket failure, but there is not water in the oil.. or vice versa - also there has been no loss of power etc.

I've read some where about the "bleed screw" breaking, but from what i can that too is fine. There is no signs of leaking in the engine bay either...
    Where is the water going; any ideas?!

Thankyou
  2. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Aug 14, 2009]
    What was done at the service? As its possible its cleared an airlock maybe?
  3. pjmspeedy

pjmspeedy Dude, what's mine say ?

[Aug 14, 2009]
    Squezze the top pipe that goes from the top of the rad to the metal tube that the bleed screw is in and listen for air being pushed up through the screw.

I would even take the screw out to double check. I have a couple in my garage so if you need one let me know and I can pop it in the post for you.
  4. audimatt

audimatt Member

[Aug 15, 2009]
    Okay, it was only an oil change, and the other usual bits. The water was only topped up..
    Yeah ile try squeezing the pipe and see what happens. Let you know, cheers :)
  5. diagnosticator

diagnosticator New Member

[Aug 18, 2009]
    You should have the cooling system pressure tested while both cold and hot, to determine the cause of the coolant loss.