1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NO bonnet release cable :(

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by martinivw, Feb 11, 2013.

1. martinivw

martinivw :)

[Feb 11, 2013]
    Anyone know how to release the bonnet latch when there is no cable attached??,
    The plastic housing under the bonnet where the 2 cable parts join (as its a 2 part cable) had snapped causing a loss in tension resulting in the cable coming off the latch and landing in the belly pan :(
    i had the car up on the ramp yesterday to see if I could get to it from the bottom,
    no joy :(,
    I think cutting the grill to try and access the latch might be an option? but thought I'd ask if anyone had any better ideas?
    :(
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 23, 2014]

3. essIII

essIII Active Member

[Feb 11, 2013]
    Did this myself once - got to the latch from the underside by removing the radiator fan - lots of scuffed knuckles and swearing from what I remember. I also seem to remember having intercooler hoses off, but I'm pretty sure we didn't drop that out too. Not too helpful I know (I must have blocked out the exact solution due to the pain of the experience), but there is definitely a route to the latch from underneath. If grills were cheaper, i'dve just cut it!
  4. Artimus

Artimus Short Back

[Feb 11, 2013]
    The old way was to drill a hole in the grill at the right point and use a screwdriver as a lever. not sure it's still possible but might be worth some research.

...or you could just call your breakdown service and have them do it.
  5. martinivw

[Feb 11, 2013]
    Great idea, I think direct line will get a call this week before I cut out grill,
    i could see my neighbours blinds twitching as I acted out my Basil Faulty routine again today lol
    davesimmo likes this.
  6. Artimus

Artimus Short Back

[Feb 11, 2013]
    lol yea, hitting it with a branch will do it. :lmfao:

If the breakdown guy reaches for a drill, tell him you're gonna take pictures - then he'll be more thoughtful. :icon_thumright:
  7. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Feb 11, 2013]
    Thats a bugger of a job tbh
  8. martinivw

[Feb 11, 2013]
    Tell me about it :(
    Im doubtfull about breakdown service looking at it,
    I do like a challenge!! :weight_lift2: