1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nitrous

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by imported_SYNAPS3, Sep 28, 2004.

1. imported_SYNAPS3

imported_SYNAPS3 Guest

[Sep 28, 2004]
    This is proberbly covered before but please can we recap and sumarize /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif....

I am thinking of adding N2O to my S3.
    What sort of hits do you use: 50, 75, 100HP ?
    Is a progressive controller really necessary ?
    Can i do a N2O installation and remove it with out a trace ?

Please share your experiences both the positive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif and especially the negative /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 20, 2014]

3. Mike.M

Mike.M Well-Known Member

[Sep 28, 2004]
    You can remove it, but it takes a few hours to either plumb in or out of the engine
  4. jimboA3

jimboA3 Member

[Sep 28, 2004]
    50 is keeping it safe , 75 would probably be ok , 100 is pushing it !
    Cant really see any need for the progressive controler on an s3 due to the nature of the quattro system.
    And you can remove it , what sort of nitrous you have depends if it will be without a trace. The cheaper sort will just leave a hole in the trunking behind your maf sensor . If you went for direct port i imagine it would be more noticable . Other than that you would just need to remove the solenoids , brackets etc.
    Its perfectly safe if used correctly. Just remember it is ILLEGAL to use it on the roads, get caught with the bottle on by the feds and your screwed.
  5. dickys3

dickys3 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Sep 28, 2004]
    [ QUOTE ]
    jimboA3 said:
    50 is keeping it safe , 75 would probably be ok , 100 is pushing it !
    Cant really see any need for the progressive controler on an s3 due to the nature of the quattro system.
    And you can remove it , what sort of nitrous you have depends if it will be without a trace. The cheaper sort will just leave a hole in the trunking behind your maf sensor . If you went for direct port i imagine it would be more noticable . Other than that you would just need to remove the solenoids , brackets etc.
    Its perfectly safe if used correctly. Just remember it is ILLEGAL to use it on the roads, get caught with the bottle on by the feds and your screwed.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they can catch you... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif
  6. robthehungrymonkey

robthehungrymonkey Member

[Sep 28, 2004]
    [ QUOTE ]
    jimboA3 said:
    Just remember it is ILLEGAL to use it on the roads

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?

I only ask, as I saw on Fifth gear a while ago, they put nitrous in a Mk3 golf diesel and tested it overtaking a lorry. They then gave it away as a competition, without any mention of it being illegal.

That's all I'm basing this on though!! lol
  7. jimboA3

jimboA3 Member

[Sep 28, 2004]
    Its not illegal to have it in your car so long as you display the correct hazard symbol for carrying gas , however it is illegal to use it on a public road. Thats 100% correct
  8. imported_SYNAPS3

imported_SYNAPS3 Guest

[Sep 28, 2004]
    Thanks guys.

I was thinking of going with a single fogger wet system.
    Any S3's with N2O out there?

SYNAPS3
  9. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

[Sep 28, 2004]
    [ QUOTE ]
    SYNAPS3 said:
    Thanks guys.

I was thinking of going with a single fogger wet system.
    Any S3's with N2O out there?

SYNAPS3

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a TT in AuDi-Driver a few months back running 320bhp with nitrous...

Rich
  10. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

[Sep 28, 2004]
    I didnt realise it was illegal either. Damn thats my plan for the next Scottish run out the window LOL. What grounds is it deemed illegal out of interest. Untaxed road fuel???
  11. foolish3uk

foolish3uk Member

[Sep 28, 2004]
    ahhhaaa a way around the illegal side is to put names on the back side of the car eg. sparco
    K&N
    Compressed N20
    ETC......
    only a thought guys.
  12. XXX_18T

XXX_18T Member

[Sep 29, 2004]
    there was a guy here 2 years ago from Poland who fitted NOS system to his car and says it works no problems. It was a 75hp shot and the only thing he had to change was to get some cold spark plugs.

His friend he said had misfortune he actually mixed the cold spark plugs with some stock ones he had engine lasted 40 mins before he blew the head

but it is possible /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
  13. HTC

HTC Active Member

[Sep 29, 2004]
    [​IMG]

Sorry, couldn't resist it!!!
  14. Stuart_A3_Turbo

Stuart_A3_Turbo Member

[Sep 29, 2004]
    think you will find that it is road legal. Certain insurance companies are nopw quoting people who declare nitrous as a modification, so therefore surely it has to be legal. Will look into this further when i get a chance.
  15. JamesA3

JamesA3 Member

[Sep 30, 2004]
    Stuart you are correct it is legal
  16. jimboA3

jimboA3 Member

[Sep 30, 2004]
    It is legal to have it in the car , just not legal to have the bottle switched on whilst on public roads. And as someone said previuosly you need to display a sticker to say your carrying compressed gas.
  17. JamesA3

JamesA3 Member

[Sep 30, 2004]
    Sorry mate thats complete ******, as long as your insurance company provides cover for the modification then its perfectly legal
  18. Stuart_A3_Turbo

Stuart_A3_Turbo Member

[Sep 30, 2004]
    [ QUOTE ]
    jimboA3 said:
    It is legal to have it in the car , just not legal to have the bottle switched on whilst on public roads. And as someone said previuosly you need to display a sticker to say your carrying compressed gas.

[/ QUOTE ]

therefore you are saying it doesnt need to be declared as a modification, as technically you are unable to use it at any time on roads. I agree you need to show you are carrying compressed gas, but whats the point of declaring nitrous to your insurance and never being allowed to use it on roads? Tis a dodgy subject, maybe someone would care to ask their insurance companies, or even anyone with police friends or something? This would be the same for the nitrous halo kits for FMIC's that are sold, they could never use them either... I will look into it further and let ya all know my findings.
  19. TFS

TFS New Member

[Oct 1, 2004]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Stuart_A3_Turbo said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    jimboA3 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

therefore you are saying it doesnt need to be declared as a modification, as technically you are unable to use it at any time on roads. I agree you need to show you are carrying compressed gas, but whats the point of declaring nitrous to your insurance and never being allowed to use it on roads? Tis a dodgy subject, maybe someone would care to ask their insurance companies, or even anyone with police friends or something? This would be the same for the nitrous halo kits for FMIC's that are sold, they could never use them either... I will look into it further and let ya all know my findings.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL good point eh!

nitrous is not illegal on british roads, if anyone wants to learn more on the subject please visit our forum at www.noswizard.com/bboard
  20. TFS

TFS New Member

[Oct 1, 2004]