1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nightmare. Turbo and oil pump knackered

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by cammy104, Mar 19, 2014.

1. cammy104

cammy104 Member

Drove the car to football on Saturday was fine and dandy to come back to it 2 hours later go to drive off when the oil pressure light come flashing on my dash along with this awful noise from the engine bay when driving so stopped. Start the engine everything's fine soon as you rev it all the Same symptoms come back.

Its it's been to the garage were he has said that the oil pump is knackered which has starved the turbo of oil running it dry knackering that aswell. I believe that oil pump is connected to the balance shaft which needs replacing aswell.

now trying to whey up my options on what to do next. Replace the parts and hope everything's fine. Could them parts of done any more internal damage? Or get a new engine fitted

Mines a 2.0tdi 2006 DSG 140bhp

any my help or advice would be brilliant
  2. s3_sid

s3_sid Active Member

cut you losses and get a new engine , i think the oil pump is around a £1000 fix and not sure on the turbo but i would probably say £1000 on top by the time you have had it all fitted , cleaned out any debris the turbo has spat through the system

it will have done more damage if its starved the turbo although thats normally the first thing to go i would crack the rocker cover and have a look at the cam if thats ok then you are probably fine to keep the engine !

but i would imagine you can change the whole engine cheaper but does not mean it wont have the same oil pump failure ! if its got full main dealer service you may be eligible for a contribution towards the work
  3. hollow

hollow Member

replace the parts as long as you havent been revving the ba*7s out of it the bottom end should be fine .

place in sheffield does the repair kits for all the different types ,uprated as well .
  4. s3_sid

s3_sid Active Member

they can be converted to run of a chain like the older 1.9 tdis and 1.8ts but i think the parts are about £780 + fitting but dont quote me !

i think if the cam journals are fine then you have got away with just blowing the turbo
  5. Gazwould

Gazwould Active Member

6. c_w

c_w Active Member

I thought this was only a problem in the Passat and A4/A6 cars with balancer shafts causing the oil pump shaft to wear?
  7. cammy104

cammy104 Member

So you can get a repair kit for the oil pump or the turbo? Thanks for the help guys