1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Next time the road is closed.....

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by quattrojames, Sep 18, 2011.

1. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Sep 18, 2011]
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 25, 2014]

3. gary3306

gary3306 Member VCDS Map User

[Sep 18, 2011]
    I am an ex Police Officer and can totally concur with what that officer has said. But them people who give you the abuse are the first to be knocking on the door wanting your help if somebody has wronged them :no:
  4. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid Supporter

[Sep 19, 2011]
    Wow QJ thanks for sharing, really sad story and its made me think twice about hold ups/rcs....:icon_thumright: Are you in the force?
  5. Sandra

Sandra MODERATOR Staff Member Moderator

[Sep 19, 2011]
    Very touching james. Very sad story. We should all be a little more understanding and patient. I would rather arrive somewhere late than
    not at all.
    RobMorris likes this.
  6. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Sep 19, 2011]
    Thanks for this, James. My dad did this job in the 60s and 70s. One of my memories from childhood was seeing him come home after a shift in which he had dealt with something very similar - white-faced, near to tears. Years later, when I was old enough, he told me about it - it involved him finding the bodies of two children, about the same age as me at the time, in a ditch, about 20 yards from the wreck of their parents' car.
  7. bdavbdav

bdavbdav Member

[Sep 19, 2011]
    Chilling story - makes you want to slow down.
  8. jb0o

jb0o North East Forum Moderator Regional Rep Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Sep 19, 2011]
    Wow, what a read.
  9. quattrojames

[Sep 19, 2011]
    I'm glad you all appreciated it for what it was, it's always good to understand what someone else's job involves.
  10. gary3306

gary3306 Member VCDS Map User

[Sep 19, 2011]
    When I was in the job, we got called to a house in Newcastle of a woman going ballistic. Cut a long story short, she had a history of mental illness but had seemed 'ok' apparently. She had a baby, which was only a few month old. She was stood outside holding her baby with one arm whilst holding a knife over it with the other hand. She was convinced her baby was possessed by the devil. we didn't want to move in for fear of what she might do, but it made no difference, she proceeded to stab her baby several times.

Now because of the situation, the road had been closed for a good 300 yards either side of the house and I was one of the road closure officers, so mercifully I didn't witness this, but several of my colleagues had to have ongoing councilling for what they had seen. My mate was the arresting officer and it affected him really bad. Was on the national news at the time.

Another instance was a guy poured petrol over his ex girlfriend at set her alight in front of us. One of our shift put her out with his coat and got severely burnt himself. He got nominated for the National Police bravery awards in London the next year.

A lot of jobs have their moments, but when that job has 'its moments' they are biggies.
  11. RobMorris

RobMorris Member

[Sep 19, 2011]
    True that!
  12. quattrojames

[Sep 19, 2011]
    Better to be late in this life, than early in the next ;)
  13. Blake.

Blake. New Member

[Sep 19, 2011]
    Wow that was spine tingling, really sad story shows how something so small can just bundle out of control. Really feel for the officer who attended, he has that on his shoulders forever even though he did his best and the outcome wasn't his fault. He's the poor soul that has to live with it. Will make me think twice about road closures now, thanks for sharing!
  14. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Sep 20, 2011]
    It really does pi$$ me off when people make derogatory remarks on the forum about the Police, usually just after they have been caught committing a traffic offence. Theirs is a bl00dy difficult job, and 99.9% of them only do it to try and make life better for the rest of us, sometimes at great personal cost.
  15. Ash187

Ash187 Audi-Retrofits.co.uk Site Sponsor

[Sep 20, 2011]
    WOW that story has just numbed me right down and even typing this seems hard. its such a sad story. really feel for the officer...

i dont understand why people try to get rude to officers that are blocking roads... its not like they blocked it as a joke! i would be surprised if all of them even knew why the road was blocked at all, they are just doing their jobs.