Newby - Buyer help needed please

Looks nice, love the colour. Check it is a sport per the logbook. Also the bodykit is not an S Line.

I would want to know if the cam belts been done.

As for autos, i hear they can go wrong every now and then, i don't know much about them though.

Other than that, looks a nice low mileage car. Maybe a touch on the pricey side! prob mor like £5.5k

well the car looks good
nice colour
someone is gonna correct me tho when i say i didnt know the DSG was in a 2004 a4 i will be wrong
but i thought that was a multitronic ???? if it is i know these can be expensive to repair when thay fail so make sure the RN123D etc dont flash at you if they do walk away make sure theres no jumping and that it pulls away smooth
other than that if you get it make sure its not on the longlife serviceing the 18T likes nice fresh oil at least every 6/7 K

Thanks for the quick relplies so far, I was unsure about the DSG i think its just the multitronic. Great advice on the flashing stuff, thats exactly the kind of advice i am looking for.

How would i know if its on longlife servicing?

from the add it seems to be not on the longlife as its got 5 stamps and 50k
the belts aint due yet so wont have been done i do them at 60k ish

from the add it seems to be not on the longlife as its got 5 stamps and 50k
the belts aint due yet so wont have been done i do them at 60k ish

Mileage wise, I agree the belts are not due. AGE wise, they are due, and should of been done.

Thats not the s-line/sport kit, its the very rare and very expensive Votex Kit. Ask the seller if its the 1.8T 190, should have a red T on the rear and on the engine cover. If it is a 1.8T 190, at that price with the votex kit and low mileage it is a good buy. Make sure you get the timing belt and water pump done, its about £350 from Audi, it will definately need doing, it should be done at 60K or 5 years. Hope this helps

Thats not the s-line/sport kit, its the very rare and very expensive Votex Kit. Ask the seller if its the 1.8T 190, should have a red T on the rear and on the engine cover. If it is a 1.8T 190, at that price with the votex kit and low mileage it is a good buy. Make sure you get the timing belt and water pump done, its about £350 from Audi, it will definately need doing, it should be done at 60K or 5 years. Hope this helps

Its not the 190 S Line. it will be the 163 Sport.

And yes it's the Votex kit.

an obvious one this, but it's been on for 15 days at least: haggle, haggle, haggle! other then that, looks like a nice motor. would be nice if you had a laptop and vcds/vag-com to take down with you to check for any fault codes etc. ;-)

Quattro, so it's NOT multitronic and DSG's are later.

It's a regular 5 speed tiptronic automatic (manually switchable via gear leaver - or via steering wheel IF paddles are fitted - they seldom were).

Nice base car to start with: haggling points are:
1) Cambelt is over a year overdue: revised service schedule for those is 5 years or 75k miles, whichever is the sooner, budget about £500 from Audi if they're still doing that special for 4-pots.
2) Kit is Votex, not Sport (which if it's the 2003 facelift model, looks the same as S-Line). Why was the Sport kit removed? Check for overspray on accident repair in case they scrimped on a repair - pessimistic, but worth checking!
3) Those RS4 alloys HAVE to be replicas - so don't get oversold on the flashy wheels... Audi 16"ers cost more and can be resold for more: orginal RS4 alloys would be stickout out the arches by 2 inches :D
4) It's probably a geniune sport (3 spoke wheel, sports seats, etc), but worth checking, it HAS to say it in the V5C (didn't the TQS's come with half-leather standard or was that just a limited run?).
5) Technically HID's have to have expensive auto-levelling and washer kits to be sold on legally. It's a silly technicality and I've never heard of anybody with A4-style projector lights being pulled over with them, so it's a bit of a stretch.

Last edited:
Cambelt defo needs doing (5years) along with waterpump at same time - this cost me £440 at Audi a few months a go.

Double check rhings like power steering fluid (dipstick under lid) these things can get forgotten about - mine was!

Wow, thanks for all the great responses so far. This is an excellent forum.

I have found that it is insured as a 190 but is de-badged, am I just looking for a red "T" on the engine cover?

Definitely has 6 speed as the 6 gears show up in the dash as it goes up through them. Not sure what this means in terms of the gearbox it has?

Thanks
Alex

Dont forget the plemum chamber (where the bettery lives along with the master servo), check brake pedal is smooth when you press down... plemum chamber full of water = master server replacement possibly (happened to my last saloon)....

The tiptronic box is as reliable as any other auto, it's not really likely to give you any problems all things being equal. All depends whether you like auto's or not, the "you can drive it like a manual" statement is very wide of the mark in my experience.....

It's quite a nice looking car, check that you're happy with the fit of the lower Votext skirts on the upper bumpers as this can be quite poor sometimes. The 1.8T can suffer from the oil pick up in the sump blocking up due to poor servicing, incorrect oil grades, and that WILL damage the engine, often wrecking it. Personally I'd allow £200-300 to replace the pick up for peace of mind.

Lostbok said it's a quattro, but unless I'm being blind I couldn't see that written anywhere! And there's no evidence of it on the car, interior dash badge or anything.

If its insured as a 190 then it will be, but yeah red T on the engine cover, duel side mounted intercoolers, you will have to look behind the front grills to see the duct work for the duel intercoolers. The 190's also have the bigger front brakes 312mm.

Lostbok said it's a quattro, but unless I'm being blind I couldn't see that written anywhere! And there's no evidence of it on the car, interior dash badge or anything.

OH BALLS! Good spot, my bad!!!!

I had another thread open where there was a quattro... that one is definitely NOT a quattro!!!
- there's no "quattro" inlay in the dash or front grill or at the back (that we can see).
- if the gears go up to "6", it's not the Audi tiptronic auto.

Sounds like that's a Multitronic then... so you need to make sure it's had the 6 plate to 7 plate clutch conversion, especially on the 190bhp version.... should be on the Audi history.

Here's that car on PARKERS.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone!

I picked the car up today, needs a couple of bits doing - main one being a judder when you accelerate in a straight line. If the front wheels are slightly turned the judder goes away. Im thinking CV joints, anti roll bar, bushes - any other ideas? I couldn't see anything obvious underneath.

Either way I got it as the rest of the motor is very good and I got a good deal.

No Red T on the engine cover but insurance company have it listed as a 190 so thats a little confusing?

Not sure i fully understand the 6/7 clutch plate thing but I can read more about that on here I guess?

Does the car have duel side mounted intercoolers?? If not then its not a 190....

the judder could be the box

judder could mean that it's not had the clutch conversion and the multitronic box is on it's way out: £1500 to get it fixed.

HONESTJOHN
sums it up pretty well.

What to watch out for: If buying a Multitronic, be suspicious of any bangs or jerks. Reports of problems with Multitronic electronics causing bangs when drive or reverse were selected and a low rpm vibration in 5th/6th. Multitronics MUST HAVE regular ATF changes. By 2005 reports of Multitronic failures were increasing. By 2006 Audi was offering 50% of replacement cost as long as the ATF had been replaced at 40,000 miles. Replacement boxes fitted with 7-plate rather than 6-plate clutches. By 2007 Audi was more reluctant to offer this goodwill. However, if the problem is only the clutch, then a new 7 plate clutch is about £2,200 fitted.

Pretty sure some people have had it done for around £1500, but that was probably with Audi picking up some of the tab, which I believe they're reluctant to offer now, especially on anything other than the V6 TDI, but shop around the dealers.

Recall: December 2005: Dealer TSB to replace current 6 pack clutch of 2.5V6TDI Multitronic with a new revised 7 part clutch as there is a known problem with the Multitronic being unable to cope with the torque of the 2.5TD. (Not confined to 2.5TDI. Multitronics with all engines failing regularly and 6 plate clutches being replaced by 7 plate clutches.)

I have read through all the information and it doesn't sound like the issues described with the gearbox. This judder is apparent through all gears in manual mode or auto mode, it is not just restricted to one gear. The judder is also there at any speed from standstill to 70mph when you apply the accelerator.

The judder also goes away when the wheels are even slightly off centre, I would have thought if it was the gearbox/Clutch I would feel the judder irrespective of the amount I am turning the wheels?

I guess time will tell. I am going to get it up on a ramp in the next couple of days and check out the CV joints and anti-roll bar/bushes.

I am obviously hoping this isnt the GB! Has anyone experienced similar judder with their own cars?

Alex

I had no idea you could... learn something new everyday.

Well if it is the 190 make sure its the BEX engine then.

I treid to seach about the BEX engine, what does this mean please?