Newbie :)

t33job

Reaction score
Hi guys

Im getting my A3 1.6 SPORT in a few days

Its this beuty

http://pistonheads.com/sales/1162834.htm

Firstly - Im getting the wheels done in the RS4 Titanium colour, im correct in thinking the code is 8AU arnt I?

Secodly - The service intervals, what are they? 50k, 70k, 90k? And when is the cambelt due?

Lastly - I personally think thats a bargain, 53 plate, 47,000 miles, and others on a 53 with 80,000 miles are up in £7500 territory

Anyway - Thanks :)

p.s - Im really confused with the 'version' of my car, its not the pre 03 shape, but its not the big mouth 03> version, Im confused :(

:sign_welcome:

You raise a very good point with your last question. Something I have been meaning to find out for a while, does anyone know what the proper chassis codes are for the 3 models within 8P??

EDIT: Perhaps there aren't any model codes but years. 03-05, 05-08, 08-

Last edited:
Yea, Im new to the whole A3/AUDI scene, but I cant figure out what my car is - Its the same shape (i think) to the wide mouth A3's, but its obviously not got the wide mouth :S

Its still beautiful though

Just need to know the service/cambelt dates mainly though :)

The cambelt is usually about 5 years or 60k, as your car is over 5 years old i would get it done asap as Audi wont cover you if i goes, as a guidline i recently bought a 2.0fsi sport which had 67k on the clock the previous owner had the car serviced by Audi regularly and the cambelt snapped on 59k Jan this year just over 5 years old and Audi didnt want to know so he spent nearly 2k on a new engine (lucky me) rather than rebuild the old head, you can get it done for between 210-329 i would also get the water pump done at the same time as it is only £30 extra and shouldnt cost any extra in labour,the last thing you want is a new cambelt kit on then months later replacing the waterpump in the same area :blackrs4:

Ah ok, I will have to have words with the owner about that..

I was planning on getting the general service at 50,000k when I get it, along with the MOT - and then 10,000 miles later get the cambelt/waterpump done..

Hmm, ill see if I can knock a bit more off

Going by the age of your car I would get the cambelt done first and asap!

Of course services are important, but a quick look at your coolant and oil levels and checking they are ok will more than likely avoid a major failure for now caused by not servicing yet, BUT if your cambelt goes then you are well and truly fecked!
Change cambelt first and worry about your service later if you ain't got the dough to get it all done together.

Just got mine done, £399 including water pump at my local audi dealer.

if you have the reg of the car ring up Audi Uk and quote the reg number and they can do a service history check to tell you whats been done on the car previously, i would certainly get the belt done and maybe just an oil and filter change at the sametime until you can get a full service,i presume it is set on long life service intervals ???

Yes if you give the reg they can tell where it has been serviced and if everything ties up with whats in the service book with a car being that low a mileage its best to find out where it has been Audi wise in its life

I think he's asking how would audi be able to give him a run down of the car's service history if it hasn't been serviced fully by audi only. They won't be able to, they can only give details of what has been done within the audi main dealer network.

Basically I wouldn't worry too much about past services. Yeah maybe check with audi to see what's been done by them, but I'd get the cambelt done, and then a service by audi. Even if a service has been done by a non-audi garage recently it won't harm to get another one done for peace of mind. Especially as audi are doing some quite good service deals at the moment.

Rang Around the local Audi Garages, close to him, and me..This is what I found out

2004 - pre delivery inspection - Huddersfield audi - Tracker Fitted - 25 miles

Warrenty work - 04/03/2005 seat frame

Re-call Warrington - Seat Anchor Pins checked

September 2008 - Coolant Temp Sensor

Seems alright to me? its also HPI clear..

I called up a local garage about a 2003 A3 FSI 2.0 I was interested in buying which had clocked up 39,000 miles. When asked if at any point the cambelt had been changed I was told that it didnt need to be changed until the car had done 80,000 miles. That is fair enough, but I told the guy that I thought despite this, after 5 years the cambelt should be changed. At first he said he was sure it was 7-10 years that it should be changed! I have never heard that before I dont think? Then he claimed that the manual doesnt even specify an age of the vehicle when it should be changed, it just says that every 80,000 miles it needs changing. The guy seemed to be fairly honest, apparently being in the used car industry for 40 years, but I cant help feeling like I have been told a bit of BS...

Audi say 5 years or 50k whichever is sooner basically they wont want to know if any thing happens to the car if the belt isnt done in that time, just by age alone that belt will not be in the greatest condtion, i would have it done or knock £300 off the price of the car to cover it and get it done at Audi yourself for peace of mind :icon_thumright: