1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie with a few issues

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by mikemk4gti, Jul 4, 2012.

1. mikemk4gti

mikemk4gti Member

Hi all. Just picked up a 2001 S3 last night and loving it. Had a few mk4 Golfs but they always struggle to put the power down through the front wheels so Quattro was the way ahead!
    Got a few jobs that need doing though, firstly the third brake light doesnt work and is bringing up a fault on the dash. I have Vagcom, I was wondering If I can code it out for the time being If possible?
    Next theres a noise from the rear diff area When driving slow and turning sharply, Im going to change the oil soon and hope this cures it. I see the filters are £30 on ebay! Can they be had any cheaper?
    Thanks in advance,
    Mike.
  2. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

Can't be coded out that I am aware of but you could just change the bulbs as this is the warning you will be getting at a guess...

Haldex issues are documented quite a bit here... there is a link in the stickies and use the search for others :) sounds like the popular sticky plates issues....

Oil and filter can be had from places like GSF for around 10-12 for oil and 20 ish for the filter... you will also need a special spanner to loosen and tighten the filter.. again this has bee discussed so a search for 'haldex' should get you started

<tuffty/>
  3. mikemk4gti

mikemk4gti Member

Ok cheers, popped the light out earlier and some of the bulbs are missing So I'll get some new ones tomorrow and see how it goes.
  4. mikemk4gti

mikemk4gti Member

Replaced all the bulbs in the top light so they now all work, but the damn warning is still on the dash???
    Any ideas....?
  5. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator

Either the bulbs you've used are the wrong rating, or one of the other brake bulbs is the wrong rating.
  6. mikemk4gti

mikemk4gti Member

The bulbs were 1.2 watt each. I was going to check the main brake bulbs but looks like the lamp needs to come off to get to them
  7. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

You get to the bulbs for the rear lights from inside the boot... its tight (this is the theme for a lot of work on an 8L) but can be done...

<tuffty/>
  8. mikemk4gti

mikemk4gti Member

I had a look but the Bose sub is one side and amp is the other.