Newbie with a 2.6SE - '97 (P reg)

cashins

Reaction score
Hi just bought the above, full leather and fully loaded. It's in really good nick and only has 67k (proven miles) on the clock.

I test drove it to death and found no faults!!! That is of course, until I put the heated rear screen on this morning.............. and the radio goes out.

The system is good, but a tape deck (suppose I can dig them out) and looks original equipment.

Question 1 is: Does this A4 use the rear screen as the aerial?

If it does there must be a bandwidth filter, (probably a capacitor), somewhere in the aerial circuit, acting as a filter to block the 12v DC from the radio input.

Question 2: Anyone know where it is?

Cheers

Welcome aboard!

The aerial is indeed in the rear screen, the 2 vertical lines that run across the actual horizontal heating elements.

Whe you say the radio goes out, do you mean the reception goes? Or the power to the unit is interrupted?

Hi and welcome

sorry to hear you have a problem already :(

Good choice of engine though :)

Hey Cashins

Welcome to the Forum.

I have also experienced your query in the past, basically when you switch on the rear window heater the radio reception diminishes or sometimes totally fades out. On the flip side, you may experience improved reception from the radio when working around the boot area.

Sometimes an aerial booster can help but have a search in the ICE section of the forums as I believe this topic has been covered by AndyMac & Co.

There is still hope...

Thanks for your replies.

The radio loses reception when you put on the rear window. Be nice if I can sort it but lets face it, if thats all you find after you have parted with the cash, life could be worse!!!

Cashins

PS: Don't drive behind me on a frosty day; the radio sounds pretty damn good. :yes:

Hi mate!
I see that we have that same engine and that same fully interior.
What color od leather have u got? In my A6 I ve got bright.

Hi Magic

Don't know what the colour is called, it's sort of cream/beige colour.

Am I right in thinking this was an option, (£1k+), on an A4 2.6 SE? If so I can only thank the original buyer! It's the business, well cared for an even now still has that leather smell............ahhhhhhhhhhh.

Cashins

ps The interior is so pristine, you have the feeling that if anyone even thought of saying "Can I light up in here", they would have been taken out and shot!!!

Hi

Now had a chance to have a look re radio/rear screen.

A general check wires/clean connectors has worked wonders. Still a slight fade when rear screen is on but not enough to worry about. I have now got a central locking fault!!

I have started another thread with some questions on it.

Cashins