1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie towing with s4

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by g60peck, Mar 10, 2012.

1. g60peck

g60peck New Member

Hi everyone im new to this forum, so firstly id like to say hello to everyone and would greatly appreciate you thoughts on this topic. Im looking at buying a b6 s4 avant but i will need to tow about 1400kg a couple of times a year. ive searched the forum and google searches and i see that the s4 is not recommended to tow. But ive also noticeed that some people have fitted one, so my question is, is there anyone on here that has fitteed one, what sort of weight have you been towing and how does the car cope? any comments would be greatly appreciated.

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. adamss24

adamss24 Well-Known Member

I don't see why they would not be suitable ? They have the torque, Bhp and all the traction they need. I know for sure the rs4 was not homologated to tow as there is simply insufficient cooling around the engine. I would fit a EGT probe and boost gauge just to keep an eye on it, if the EGT goes sky high then it's time to buy a diesel car- v6 tdi is particularly good for towing as has no issues with cooling. I tow with my allroad every week, no issues so far with loads of up to 3 tonnes !

4. scott b

scott b Active Member
    VCDS Map User

a standard towbar of a b6 will fit aswell but MAY need slightly bigger bumper cut. will be fitting one to my mates rs6 in a couple of months, but if your towing close to the cars limit, i would look at getting an extra gearbox cooler

ps for a living i fit towbars so if you need any advice just give us a shout

5. Sandra

Sandra MODERATOR
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator TeamMisano TFSI Owners Group Gold Supporter quattro Audi S3 s tronic

Hi, welcome to ASN. What is your location? Enjoy the Forum. :)

6. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

Welcome to the forum :hi:

7. rjm180

rjm180 Active Member

Hello and welcome

8. g60peck

g60peck New Member

Thanks to everyone for the welcome messages and response to my question. has anyone fitted one to a b6 s4 also what are gearbox coolers and where coulf i get one if i needed it?

9. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

It might be worth a search on RS246.com or AudiSRS as I'm sure it must have been done.

10. g60peck

g60peck New Member

Thanks for all your replies

11. fourcircle

I would just go for a direct conversation with Scott B since he's the expert