Newbie seeking advice on A3 models?

stiscooby

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum and I am after some advice/comments on the A3 models....

I am currently looking at changing my car (from a Honda Civic Type R) and one car I’m considering is the A3. Now I have come across the A3 2.0 FSI Sport and the A3 3.2 V6.

I have about 15k to spend and from what I can gather so far either of the above would be about the best I can currently get for my money (unless someone can tell me otherwise?).

Can any of you nice people advise me on what to look out for on these cars and I would also be interested to hear your comments/experiences with either of these models, or indeed if there are any other models I should be considering.

I only have a 12mile round trip to work so mileage wise for me is quite low, so fuel costs are not too much of a worry for me. For the past six or so years I have had relatively quick cars, I had a STI Scoob before the Civic, so I am after something that’s comfortable to drive but at the same time I don’t want something I will be bored with within a month or two.

Thanks ;)

Presonally, the 2.00 FSI is quite quick (150 bhp) but you may get a little bored after having an STI, the 3.2 (250 bhp) has quattro so the car is more planted and alot quicker. Engine mods for both naturally aspirated engines are pretty much non-existant though, a simple remap doesn't gain much.

Have you thought about the 2.00 Turbo (200 BHP)?

There are some out there...

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/AUDI+A3/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146,N-151-172-4294966334-4294966997/advert.action?R=200750108032621&distance=143&postcode=hp3+9pf&channel=CARS&make=AUDI&model=A3&min_pr=14000&max_pr=15000&max_mileage=

£15k - go for a 2005 maybe early 2006 2.0TFSI and remap it!

You will miss the CTR performance if you go for just the 2.0 and the 3.2 is heavy and the quattro saps the power away

however, with a revo remap, the 3.2 gains 17bhp plus a little extra with a miltek - a mate has this done to his r32 and loves it!

We are trading in an 05 2.0TFSi Quattro Sportback (200bhp) on 1 March, Met Black, Leather/Alcantara, FCAR, Alu trim and roof bars, 27k miles,... Cracking car.. suggest you try one.

Cheers:hubbahubba:

Boydie said:
You will miss the CTR performance if you go for just the 2.0 and the 3.2 is heavy and the quattro saps the power away

the haldex controller sorts this! then its a new world.....

So you are saying the Haldex controller does not sap the power as much????

JamS3 said:

I cant believe this is true, thought the uprated haldex controller just changes the rate of power tranfer to the rear wheels not the power from the engine!!

stiscooby said:
I only have a 12mile round trip to work so mileage wise for me is quite low, so fuel costs are not too much of a worry for me.

In that case, I'd recommend you getting the cheapest car you can find to use as a daily beater, and get the 3.2 (or if you can, the 2.0Tqm) for weekends.

Cant imagine 6mile commutes being very kind to any engine at all.

boggysv said:
In that case, I'd recommend you getting the cheapest car you can find to use as a daily beater, and get the 3.2 (or if you can, the 2.0Tqm) for weekends.

Cant imagine 6mile commutes being very kind to any engine at all.

But then you have to pay road tax, insurance, maintenance costs twice, and another space for the car to be parked.

I think todays modern engines can withstand a start - stop lifestyle, probably with a good blast at the weekends. ;)

JamS3 said:

apologies; ive been misunderstood

with the haldex controller in particular situations i.e quick take off from stand still, power (torque) will be transferred more aggressively to the rear wheels for an overall better launch etc

what i mean is better traction/wheels power transfer system = more efficient use of power = more power utilised = ultimatly quicker car

if you get what i mean