Newbie saying HELLO... and a quick question :-)

A1ps

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Firstly a quick HELLO to you all :)

I'm in the process of buying an S3... and I'm being incredibley picky about it - it has to be Noggy, with sunroof, alluminium mirrors, pref alcantara etc (I know I know, how picky am I!!!)

I've driven an S2 for the last 4 years, but now that Im getting married the wifey to be has started with the ol' "Ooooh the S2's too big, clutch is too stiff, it's too powerful, it's too old blah blah blah blah blah"!!! So I thought lets go and buy a smaller, slightly less powerful, and newer car... lets get an S3 ;-)

Now for my quick question... erm, what is an "auto dip rear view mirrior" thingy ma jiggy? Was it an additional extra or was it standard?

PS Dont spose anyone knows of a Noggy blue S3 with a sunroof for sale, do they???

Thanks
A1ps

the auto dimming rear view mirror was a £147 option.

Personally, i dont think your list of requirements is too picky at all.. You should be able to find one easily. One thing i noticed when looking for mine though is that the sunroof ones go like hot cakes, so you have to be quick. The extra light inside transforms the interior, and with silver leather it looks awesome.

Welcome BTW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

It auto dips when your getting dazzled by headlights from cars behind you.

Pretty sure it was an optional extra. (Standard on SE).

Thanks guys.

I have a feeling I'll be having this car for some time (well, untill I have some little blighters... in which case I'll need a 4 door - RS4 is only 4 door car I'd own :-D )

There is a Noggy blue with sunroof for sale right now but the spec seems a little bare. No alcantara, no multifunction wheel, no allu mirrors, no BOSE. Its going for £15k with 50,000 on the clock. What do you guys think?

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks guys.

I have a feeling I'll be having this car for some time (well, untill I have some little blighters... in which case I'll need a 4 door - RS4 is only 4 door car I'd own :-D )

There is a Noggy blue with sunroof for sale right now but the spec seems a little bare. No alcantara, no multifunction wheel, no allu mirrors, no BOSE. Its going for £15k with 50,000 on the clock. What do you guys think?

[/ QUOTE ]

seems a bit overpriced for a skimpy specced 50K car. Unless of course he's expecting to be knocked down £500, in which case its a fair price.

If it's just had a service and new tyres it's saved you a maximum of £900 - and 50K is 10K off the belt and pump paranoia too.

Thanks all for the links.

I've been glued to pistonheads these last few days :-I

I've seen that absolutely top Noggy blue MTM and I'm seriously trying to convince myself that I DO NOT NEED A SUNROOF!!! But its not working :-( Any chance I can get a sunroof fitted aftermarket!!!!!!!!!!

I was the same when I bought mine. I wanted it all! Fortunately I saw sense when I drove one - I had to have one no matter what the spec. It's better to go for a good condition car than one with a sunroof. The AC does a good job!

£15k for 50k is too steep IMO. If I were to do it again, I'd go for the 12.5k one in autotrader for £17k. That one's been up for ages so I'm sure you could get the price way down.

Wow! Chris that looks like 1 heluvva an S3. What wheels you have on there?

Also, whats they spec on it? Wanna sell it (only kiddin... just gettin a touch desperate!!)

Now let me go look at that 17k autotrader 1..............

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks all for the links.

I've been glued to pistonheads these last few days :-I

I've seen that absolutely top Noggy blue MTM and I'm seriously trying to convince myself that I DO NOT NEED A SUNROOF!!! But its not working :-( Any chance I can get a sunroof fitted aftermarket!!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I was exactly the same. Wanted sunroof and heated seats, but bought this and haven't looked back!

[ QUOTE ]
Wow! Chris that looks like 1 heluvva an S3. What wheels you have on there?

Also, whats they spec on it? Wanna sell it (only kiddin... just gettin a touch desperate!!)

Now let me go look at that 17k autotrader 1..............

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! I've had a little work done to it. Getting more done over the next week or so. I'll get some piccys up once I'm done. Not as fast as Hamski's - yet!

Huh!! Heated seats aren't standard??? :-O

Heated seats are also a must have for me - I feel the cold even in summer!!!!!

Seems I may wait a very long time for the right car to come along. But I don't mind waiting... it'll be worth it in the end :)

[ QUOTE ]

Seems I may wait a very long time for the right car to come along. But I don't mind waiting... it'll be worth it in the end :)

[/ QUOTE ]

You shouldn't need the sunroof then... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yup, you'll have to wait, and be prepared to look for it.

I was lucky. The first S3 i went to see was nogaro blue, had silver leather, 27k miles, heated seats, aluminium mirrors, navi-plus, sunroof, parking sensors, multi-function steering wheel, auto-dim rear-view and BOSE - the only down-side was that it was a personal import. I had to pay £18k, and that was only 9 months ago.

Madvw, wanna sell it ;-)

You got very very lucky there mate. £18k seems like a bargain a year ago!

[ QUOTE ]
i defo recommend the BOSE system

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't to be honest with you. Bose in the S3 isn't that great imo.

Also if you are one to tinker with your audio, bose can be restrictive. Have a listen to it first before you decide..

Hi mate, and welcome. Sod the s/roof and do yourself a favour and seriously consider Hamskis car. It would have been mine only I couldn't sell my S3 in time for the previous owner. It has the brakes, suspension and the big turbo/exhaust/cats etc. No spending on mapping in the future.
I've driven it, and believe me its head and shoulders above a mapped S3, despite what some on here would have you believe !
Had S3s with and without a sunroof and TBH not bothered I haven't got one now.

Chris.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Last night I almost convinced myself to go for Hamskis ride - but I think I might just sit tight for a while and wait for the roof and other extras! Sometimes I wanna kick my own ar$e for being so petty - I know I'll be well pleased with Hamskis... alas I'll always be looking up at the roof and thinking what could have been there!!

I've been looking at some Nogys at the stealerships - WOW they don't half rip you off there! Saw one that had no extras what-so-ever, 35k miles and they were asking for nigh on £17k :-O

Private seems like my best bet. I was hoping to PX my S2 but think I may have to keep it and PX it for a bike :-I

if you want a sunroof, get a sunroof. It really does make a hell of a difference, even more than normal as the headliner is black (well, charcoal) too. The missus would'nt let me get one without, as my last B5 didn't have one, and despite my explaining that it had climate, she still wasn't impressed - as you cant get the sun on you when driving at the beach with the windows and roof open.

As for dealer prices, dont forget that in there you get a 1 year audi warranty and a years FULLY loaded, all you could wish for, breakdown cover. In the first year of my warranty, I had more work done than the warranty was worth (nothing major, just expensive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif )...

Tell me about the expenses!! After the costs on my S2 I vowed never again an Audi!! The costs are just ridiculous. Alas there is no other car I'd rather have for the money :-I I did consider a Cupra R, RX8 and Alfa 147 GTA but none of them really felt right.

Madvw if you dont mind my asking where exactlt did you get your car from? Only reason I ask is that I may try calling them to see if they have anything similar. Worth a try, hey!

I got mine from Ipswich Audi. I guess that you can really just look at the Audi Used Car Locator, and if one looks like the ticket, ask them to get it delivered locally. Other than that, ask fontain to look for one for you.

I considered fontain - but they actually charge more than stealership prices!

I might just spend some more time sorting out a bike and enjoy it and just wait till the right S3 comes along :)

Picked up mine from Alex at Croft Motor Company in Uxbridge. They've always got a few available.

Thanks Hamski. I'll give them a try.

PS Sorry about not going for your one. It really does sound like an absolute top motor - I actually keep going back to the postonheads website just to look at it :) Alas, as you may have gathered from my posts - I'm being very very picky!!

No worries mate. TBH I'm hoping I don't have to sell, but I've just split from a money-grabbing ex (yeah, I AM bitter!!)... have a couple of other options I'm working on so I can keep my baby

Thanks Madvw. I've seen that one. Its been up for grabs for some time. I just think that they're asking waaaaaaaaaaay too much for what it is. And by the time I add on all the extras I want I could have got myself a new R32 :-D (infact, I almost did go ahead and get one!! )
Nope. I'm just gonna bide my time and wait :)
Appreciate the help Madvw :)

Guys I think I may have found THE car. I need your advice please...

Spec is as follows:
52 Mettalic Nagaro (I didnt know they came in Mettalic - thought they were all pearl???)
22,000 Mile
Leccy roof :-DDD
Alcantara (heated) :-DDD
Sat Nav Plus (is this the TV version???)
Parking sensors (for the missuz!!)
No allu mirrors :-(( (but can be added after)
Bose
FASH

Going for £17k

Worth it???

sounds good to me, but only if it's an audi approved one - so you get the 12 months audi assured warranty.

The nogaro blue is a pealescent only, and never has been metallic.

The Navi-Plus is the TV-capable HU, but needs a tuner to be installed (externally) for it to be enabled.

LOL! Took me time to figure out what you meant but now I get it. I think I have a million and one spellings for Noggaro/negaro/noggora etc etc

This car isnt from a dealership. BUT it used to belong to Ipswich audi a year ago.

in which case then it sounds like dealer prices for a car without the dealer benefits. I'd knock them down a grand - but it all depends on how much you want the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I want it bad. But not bad enough to be prepared to get charged a grand too much :) Ta for the advice.

Where abouts are you based Madvw? If you close to the car would you mind coming along with me to check it out?

If it's a private sale, make sure you get someone with VAG-COM to go with you for such a significant purchase - I don't I'm afraid.

If its a car-sales buy, then also ask to VAG-COM it.

If at all possible, clear the codes before a test drive, then take it for a whirl, and read them again when you get back. Obviously insist they fix any faults found.

There really isn't much to look at now when inspecting cars, and other than bodywork, tyres, discs, pads and leaks. You need a combination of a test drive and VAG-COM to check thoroughly IMO.

If it is a private sale i'd say that between 15.5 and 16 is a fair price if it's perfect. He would have been offered 15-15.5 as a trade in at a dealership....

It's a trade sale. Unfortunately I dont know anyone with VAG COM :-(

I will defo be getting the AA to check this one over for me though. I got burned bad on a previous car I bought and dont wanna go through the same experience ever again!!

And seeing as i'm gonna px my S2 I doubbt he'll budge on the price. All I can do is get as much as poss for my Stu (S2!!)

Hi A1ps, I know you're really excited to get a S3, but if I were you, i wouldn't pay anywhere near £17k for a S3 at this time. I love mine, but i dont really think they can command these prices anymore, no matter what prices dealers still try to get for them. Biggest problem, is the new S3 is just round the corner, and it is bound to make the current one look even more dated imo. Also the fact that you can get a new Focus ST or used Golf GTI around this price, regardless of whether you perceive them to be in the same class as the S3, just makes the S3 seem like the 10yr old platform it's based on. All imo of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif