Newbie question alert - Paint Depth Gauges

danb986

In awe of VCDS
Reaction score
I'm probably going to embarrass myself now, but here goes anyway.
I'm totally new to detailing and have just been one of those guys that was a sponge and bucket once a month person in the past.

My question is about paint depth gauges. How do they work exactly? What I mean is, obviously it tells you how deep the paint is on the panel, but does it differentiate between lacquer, colour and primer.
If I put a gauge on a panel and it gives a reading saying that there's loads of paint to play with when machine polishing, how do I know it's not 4 coats of primer and the lacquer and top coat are actually really thin?

I know this is probably a stupid question to those of you in the know, but like I said, I'm new to all this and it's been something I've been trying to figure out. :blush:

The more basic gauges just show the total paint depth.

With them, you don't really have a means of knowing how much is lacquer, how much primer etc.

Assuming the readings indicate a factory paint finish, let's say 120microns; it'd be safe to say that between 30 and 50% of that is clearcoat.

The more advanced gauges do show the individual layers of paint but they're not that accurate; on metal panels the accuracy can vary by around 10%, on composite panels it's around 5%.

So on a metal panel, with a basic gauge, it gives you an indication of the paint thickness but equally importantly, it shows how much paint you're removing as you polish.

:)

Thanks John, that was a great answer.
It would probably be more use as a gauge to see what you're doing, rather than what you can do (that made sense in my head when I wrote it)

Thanks John, that was a great answer.
It would probably be more use as a gauge to see what you're doing, rather than what you can do (that made sense in my head when I wrote it)

I know what you mean; use it as a monitor of your work.

It will give you an indication of the total depth which is useful and you can then have a more informed idea of how much clearcoat you have but yes, it certainly helps as you polish so you can monitor your paint removal.

:)