Newbie polishing - autoglym Ultra Deep Shine , white residue after wash

Klickflip

Quattro 4 life
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a newbie to polishing detailing but have read lots on forum .
Basicallly after decent lasting results without being too mental & costly about it all .

I snowfoamed and washed & dried with Demonfoam then clay bar'd . Not as much as I hought might came off on the clay bar though.
Then polished with Autoglym Ultra Deep shine. Looked pretty good.
But then next week I gave a wash only and as it dried there was white residue powder all over it .
I take it this the autoglym UDS wax/ coating element washing out and left drying? It wipes off easily.

I know having read much in this forum and others that UDS is not the best product , and as I found pretty hard elbow grease needed to use it by hand! But had bought in on buying the car , as it is phantom black thought this sounded good while in Halfords .. yes I have much to learn!

Also while claybarring I realised that my thought decent looking paintwork was actually pretty scratched all round With a few big deeper ones and loads of pitting & chipping on the front bumper . - the joys of a black car, and buying it on a drizzly day..

I also bought some G3 scratch polish, which I used on the worst scratches before the UDS. It reduced them slightly. But doing by hand I realise will take much more work and I probably want a electric polisher if I want to try to them get fully out , and would help with future polishing & waxing.

Having read up more something like poor boys black hole should be best.
Is there any dark wax / sealant that will fill the pitted marks and chips and any scratches ?

Any tips on doing a basic but reasonable job by hand to get the best out of a typical 6 year old phantom black car would be great :)

If you have white residue I suspect you used a bit too much polish. Less is more. No worries. Wash the car and once dry buff the white residue with a microfibre cloth.

Long term for black a pro detailer correction would be best.

For DIY fixing by hand is hard. It might be better to cover up using Poorboys Black Hole glaze and top with a wax to lock it in. You'll find kits containing both Blackhole and Nattys Wax on ebay and amazon. I've had a colleague use these on his black Golf to good effect.

Reactions: Klickflip and Bristle Hound
If you have white residue I suspect you used a bit too much polish. Less is more. No worries. Wash the car and once dry buff the white residue with a microfibre cloth.

Long term for black a pro detailer correction would be best.

For DIY fixing by hand is hard. It might be better to cover up using Poorboys Black Hole glaze and top with a wax to lock it in. You'll find kits containing both Blackhole and Nattys Wax on ebay and amazon. I've had a colleague use these on his black Golf to good effect.
@Klickflip - Wise words by @scotty76 IMHO

Infinity Wax Dark is reputed to cover minor scratches
I have a tin but haven't used it, yet :D
https://www.infinitywax.com/infinity-wax-dark-wax-150ml.html

Product info from Infinity Wax
'infinity wax Dark is one of the best selling waxes by infinity wax, Its a hard wax which is extremely easy to spread allowing the user maximum coverage while preventing you from over using the product. Infinity wax DARK can be used in direct sunlight and warm climates with ease due to its unique mineral oil blend preventing the wax from becoming greasy. Scented with a fresh jellybean fragrance makes it a joy to work with, the wax has active nanotechnology fillers which are colour pigmented to work with dark paint, put simply if your car has no paint defects the fillers will be redundant, however if like 95% of cars on the road there are blemishes in your paint dark wax works its way into them before hardening and making them near invisible. Once applied dark wax should be left for 10-15 minutes to "cure" before being very easily removed using a clean dry microfiber cloth. What you can expect from dark wax is excellent deep gloss, water beading, water sheeting off leaving your car dry and an incredibly smooth finish with the nano fillers at work.'

Review here -
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=374982

Reactions: Klickflip
Here is my phantom black a4

Using blackhole and nattys blue over the top

Attachments

• IMG_1676.JPG
    IMG_1676.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 234
  • IMG_1680.JPG
    IMG_1680.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 195
Reactions: Bristle Hound, Klickflip and scotty76
Thanks for advice folks @Rich76 ...great reflections.
One thing that bothers me about getting a reflective finish on `phantom black is you loose any look of the pearlesance and they look more solid black - is there any way to keep light refracting , are there any waxes , sealants that contain a pearlesance particals ?

Think I'll try poorboys , then infinity dark wax to hide the blemishes. And yes I'd love to get the paintwork professionally detailed and transformed ... when funds allow. Until then then a bit of time and elbow grease will have to do!

I was lookin for older posts here on UDS and a lot of people complain about the white powder or dustyness of it afterwards , so either most are putting too much on or it is a 'feature' of it , and it doesn't seem to last too long . Mine lasted two weeks before it looked unwaxed, a lot of rain and dust here tho.

Does anyone else have the problem of seagulls / pigeons using your shiny car as target practice the next day .. every time it's washed it get royalty shat upon !