1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie needs help engine problem 2000 S3

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by rhubarb4, Mar 18, 2008.

1. rhubarb4

rhubarb4 Certified Jardo Slayer

[Mar 18, 2008]
    :sob:hello, I bought an S3 friday and over the weekend the car has felt fine. Driving home tonight started to accelerate and the car started to shudder under acceleration, it seemed to go but then it was like i kept taking my foot off the pedal, like it was missing bits of acceleration. This is like it in every gear, also i have an oil patch on the drive but cant see where it comes from.

Any help will be very appreciated as im feeling a bit down as iv only had it 4 days and somethings going wrong.

Thanks Chris
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. DaveMK^

DaveMK^ Member

[Mar 18, 2008]
    Was it private or trade sale?
  4. HTC

HTC Active Member

[Mar 18, 2008]
    Sounds like another case of a bad coil pack. So a quick search in this forum on coil packs.
  5. DaveMK^

DaveMK^ Member

[Mar 18, 2008]
    I didn't think bad coil packs spilled oil?
  6. rhubarb4

[Mar 18, 2008]
    hello thanks for your responses. what is a coil pack and where would i look for it on here. Are they expensive/hard to change and are the accessable, or is it dealer only, Sorry if this has been asked before just being new to this its quite confusing, also not sure where oil leak is going to look tomorrow in light
  7. rhubarb4

[Mar 18, 2008]
    would they be covered under warrenty
  8. S3 NIK

S3 NIK Member

[Mar 18, 2008]
    Depends where you bought it and the quality of the warranty.

9. rhubarb4

[Mar 18, 2008]
    what is a coil pack and where would i look for it on here. Are they expensive/hard to change and are the accessable, or is it dealer only
  10. S3 Dave

S3 Dave Now running on Heavy Oil

[Mar 18, 2008]
    I think we need a little more to go on. Where did you buy it? . Have you a warranty?. How many miles? Service history?
  11. rhubarb4

[Mar 18, 2008]
    Hi i bought it from a dealer garage prospect solihull. its got 70000 miles 2000 w reg and has had cambelt done at 54000. the service book is a duplicate one but has the last three services in. The dealer gave me 3 months warrenty on it, and i bought it friday. it was only today when the problems occured it seemed fine the weekend
  12. S3 Dave

S3 Dave Now running on Heavy Oil

[Mar 18, 2008]
    A local then, I'm in Redditch.

If its got warranty don't even get stressed just go back and tell the guy its not right. If it is a coil pack it won't take them long to sort that!!
  13. jamieface

jamieface the only S3 in the villiage

[Mar 18, 2008]
    I agree with dave take the car back to the dealer and just let him know its not right and that you would like him to sort it. Dont worry about it too much i had my S3 1 day and i hit a fox @ 80 mph and destroyed the front underside cos me 600 quid !!! lol. Coil packs are a common fault on VAG 1.8T engines i wouldnt worry too much just make sure he gets original parts from Audi as the quality of others can vary. As for the oil leak just ask him to have a look while he is sorting out the other problem. Best of luck mate and im sure you will be enjoying your new car very very soon

best of luck
    j
  14. rhubarb4

[Mar 18, 2008]
    hi thanks for the help il go there tomorrow and tell him just want to get it sorted get it running sweet again its an amazing car
  15. jesters3

jesters3 Active Member VCDS Map User

[Mar 19, 2008]
    See the link for more info on Coilpacks and how to change and access them. They cost £21 from vagparts.co.uk. They are 'push-fit' so you just have to unclip the old ones and pull them out. Then push the new ones in. There are four, two are easy to get to the other two are hidden under the N249 - the photos in the link should help: http://www.wak-tt.com/225sparkplugs/225sparkplugs.htm

It is also difficult to determine which one has gone, so you either change thm under process of elimination or plug your car into VAG.COM (software for scanning your engine and components for errors) to find which one has died.

On the oil, are you sure it is oil and not condensation from the Aircon. If oil, where abouts under the car? If near the back centre this could be the haldex oil, if near a wheel this could be the CV joint oil or if under the engine from the oil filter?
  16. Nilz

Nilz Defo worth the wait :)

[Mar 19, 2008]
    Rhubarb, where are you from if you brought the car from Solihull??

It wasnt the silver one that you got was it??

Oh and take it back, if you got a warranty, use it, they should be able to sort it, as its a common fault, just go in and tell them that, as you never know they may try and fob you off....(just in case obviously)