newbie in need of help and advice please

drewvic1

Reaction score
hi there everyone im new to the site and new to audi
I have bought a 2002 audi a3 1.8t Quattro
cracking car lots of receipts good condition
BUTTT I have an issue
when the car is in neutral and parked and you rev the car its sounds perfect
as soon as you go to drive the car it sounds like the exhaust is blowing quite bad
I have had it up on the ramps and found that the centre clamp was letting gas escape so repaired this and still the same
I have seen somt=ething about maybe flexi???? also would this cause loss of boost aswell??
please helping my heads puzzled with this

hi there everyone im new to the site and new to audi
I have bought a 2002 audi a3 1.8t Quattro
cracking car lots of receipts good condition
BUTTT I have an issue
when the car is in neutral and parked and you rev the car its sounds perfect
as soon as you go to drive the car it sounds like the exhaust is blowing quite bad
I have had it up on the ramps and found that the centre clamp was letting gas escape so repaired this and still the same
I have seen somt=ething about maybe flexi???? also would this cause loss of boost aswell??
please helping my heads puzzled with this

K03s has iirc a flex joint in the downpipe, its common for the engine to move when under load which would mean the flex is split, a get a miltec DP on it and forget it

ok phil thanks for that so then will that cause loss of power/boost???
does the miltek now have the flexi then

Its common for the turbo/manifold gasket to go on A3's... the bolts holding the turbo get a little loose over time (heat cycles) and back out a bit... this allows a small blow to essentially eat the metal gasket and bob's yer uncle...

its relatively easy to get your hand down the back of the engine (avoiding the host stuff) to see if its blowing...

<tuffty/>

Has the car been scanned for fault codes?... be the first place to start looking for the boost issue...

Check all rubber pipes around the inlet manifold etc for splits too or get a smoke test if you can

<tuffty/>

tuffty hi there thankyou for your reply, as regards to the turbo manifold gasket??? sorry to sound thick but which is this and I have noticed that when the car is cold it does make as much of a blowing noise
also no I haven't had it fault coded yet that is next job, where is best place to get info on any codes it may come up with
I will say I have noticed that on the inlet manifold there is a black piece that connects to it over to the left on the top and the pipes lead off to the box that clicks any ideas what this is thanks

tuffty hi there thankyou for your reply, as regards to the turbo manifold gasket??? sorry to sound thick but which is this and I have noticed that when the car is cold it does make as much of a blowing noise
also no I haven't had it fault coded yet that is next job, where is best place to get info on any codes it may come up with
I will say I have noticed that on the inlet manifold there is a black piece that connects to it over to the left on the top and the pipes lead off to the box that clicks any ideas what this is thanks

Have a read of this...
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...-help-please-read-before-posting-updated.html

Info on software and links to useful stuff for diagnostics using the software

The turbo/manifold gasket is the gasket between the turbo and the manifold ;P

Look behind the engine (bulkhead side) and you will see the manifold with the turbo hanging underneath it... 3 bolts on the top secure the turbo to the manifold...

The box that ticks is a charcoal filter and the ticking is the N80 valve for the EVAP system... fuel tank breather system for want of a better description... pipes that typically split are PCV (oil breather) ones and cause airleaks... if bad enough can cause boost leaks and limp mode... (actuator pressure only/low boost)

<tuffty/>

thanks for that link
so I look on the behind of the engine I see the turbo with mine large pipe that goess straight down and loom for 3 bolts ok
I will look at this tomoz night
yeah I know that is the charcoal filter there is a pipe that comes off that onto the top of the intlet manifold I have noticed that someone has put what looks like silicone around it??? wat is this part???
while im picking your brains mate seen as though your the man to talk to whats the ideas on dv ???
im all new to this you see, I know the car is remapped to 215, I want to keep the car pretty much a sleepeer but looking for some nice mods for the engine, so once I have sorted this issue out to do with the exhaust im going to move on to the dv then intercooler so help and advice on these

Post a pic of the bit you mean mate... make it easier to see what you asking...

As for the DV... tbh the OE one in its current version is as good as any... no real advantage going to an aftermarket one beyond a bit of bling and serviceability...

OE ones are diaphram valves and will eventually spilt... aftermarket (Forge 007 or 008) are serviceable and should be serviced at least once a year... typically only requiring a clean and fresh high temp grease... Forge do serive kits that include the grease and replacement o-rings... the older valves leaked but Forge have revised them and they should now be fine...

There is a big FMIC thread link in the FAQ's sticky... takes a bit of wading through but will give you ideas and info on doing the FMIC..

There is also a thread in the FAQ's on A3 modding... worth a read

<tuffty/>