1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie here - A4 v A4 Quattro

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by shaggy, Dec 4, 2007.

1. shaggy

shaggy New Member

Hi all,

Im looking at some 02 and 03 Audi A4 1.9 Tdi sport models and also some equivalent A4 Tdi Quattro's. How do these two compare and drive? Some people have told me the quattro's are expensive to maintain? Is this true? Anything else I should look out for? common faults? etc.
  2. Nickynibbles

Nickynibbles Damn it where's 7th gear when you need it?!

The Quattro will only be more expensive to maintain if you have differntial problems or high enough mileage to need an oil change. They basically handle a lot better, but you'll get a couple more mpg from a fwd version. Quattro's cost a little more to buy also, but have a "coolness" factor that makes it worthwhile! Ultimately it should depend on your plans, if your going motorway cruising then the fwd would be the best bet, it'll be cheaper to buy & more common. If your out in the country then the quattro would serve you well when the weather gets bad. Another consideration is if your planning to chip the car, the fwd will have more of a tendancy to wheelspin and kick in the traction control.

There's plenty of other advice ref the 1.9tdi so rather than just repeating things do a search and read the various threads as they all say much the same really!!
  3. phil1978

phil1978 Member

Well I think Nicky was spot on there . . . . :icon_thumright:

I also had this predicament on my last car . . .Drove both and the Quattro won hands down for me.
    I sacrificed the little extra on fuel as the car handled so much better and felt sure footed in all conditions. It never cost me anything other than servicing and an extra litre of oil every 10k miles.
    I also had mine REVO'd and WOW, how this transformed the car. I now had much more power and the grip:icon_thumright:

Drive them both and see what you prefer . . . .

Hope this helps.
  4. JohnboyC

JohnboyC Member

Get a 2.5 TDi Quattro Sport, put a 18" RS6 alloys on it plus a B7 Anti Roll Bar on the back end and enjoy....
    Bloody fantastic handling !
    The 1.9 Quattro I test drove seemed good as well.....but for a motorway cruiser the 2.5 is a cracking car....
    Only problem you will have is finding a low mileage diesel ..!
  5. pablo

pablo Member

why does everyone hate the 2.5 derv engine? When I was looking everyone told me to stay away inc a VAG dealer mechanic.
  6. JohnboyC

JohnboyC Member

Well I love my 2.5TDi Quattro Sport Avant....supurb smooth motorway cruiser and great economy considering the size of the engine....at 80mph its doing just over 2000 rpm....

The only grumble I s'pose is the cambelt change at 80K miles, which seems to involve taking the entire front of the car off ...so cambelt change will also include tensioners, themostat and waterpump, wether they need changing or not....adds up to an expensive bill ...
  7. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

That and the fact they only do the equivalent mpg of a petrol 1.8TQ
  8. james0808

james0808 Active Member

Exactly.
  9. JohnboyC

JohnboyC Member

Have a shufty at this thread.....

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=46573&highlight=mpg

my 2.5Tdi Avant Q averages 35 mpg with a mix of motorway and town driving.....significantly better than my old BMW (e36) 328 Sport coupe (sadly missed). On a long run it will do 40 to 42mpg - I don't drive my car hard, but then I don't hang around either!
    When looking for an Audi I did contemplate getting a 1.8T Q Avant but checking this site, if you drive the 1.8T as it should be, you will get low twentys....on a run probably just a smidge over 30mpg...
    Problem I had that I could not find a good low mileage 1.9TDi Avant Q Sport with low mileage...and when I did find one it had gone....

Suggest you try a 2.5TDi anyways....but the 1.9 will be better on fuel....probably by 10mpg....you pays your money and make your choices :blow: