1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Hello and Bose or not - help please viewing car tomorrow

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by tt ted, Jul 24, 2010.

1. tt ted

tt ted New Member

[Jul 24, 2010]
    Hi All

Viewing a 2001 S3 tomorrow and had told myself the one i buy must have Bose as i love my music. Never had a great system and thought Bose would be so.

However have read on internet that it isnt so good.

The question is, is it worth hanging out for a bose system?

The one i am looking at seems to have a sub mounted in the boot on left hand side. But no Bose labeling on the speaker cases. I am guessing this is an audi setup - is that right. If it is an audi setup is it any good, does it have an amp?

Is it worth getting this car if all else is good and then going for an Andymac sub upgrade??

Thanks in advance to all - hope to be an owner soon.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 26, 2014]

3. MURRAYS444

MURRAYS444 Member

[Jul 25, 2010]
    I think the standard speaker setup has a subwoofer in the boot but would be the chorus system. The Bose system is better than the standard system but its not amazing compared to having Alpine speaker system installed!
  4. finesse

finesse Active Member VCDS Map User

[Jul 25, 2010]
    Yeah , what he said!
  5. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

[Jul 25, 2010]
    Bose + Andy Mac stealth sub.... disable Bose equalisation but cutting the wire at the back of the head unit to give you tonal control and its a half decent system... never going to set the world on fire though..

If you want iPod control there are options for the OEM headunits but they are not fantastic... There are no aftermarket adaptors for double DIN units (Symphony 1 & 2) so others have modded A4 adaptors to fit that look ok otherwise hunt around for a car with single DIN headunit and replace with an aftermarket unit of your choice... there are adaptors available to plug aftermarket HU's into the 'Bose' system... I used the Autoleads speaker line adaptor and other than a small thump every now and then turning the HU on it worked flawlessly... there is an RCA adaptor available too but not tried that...

I fitted an Andy Mac Stealth sub and some other gear but tbh I was happy enough with the std setup long enough that its taken nearly 18 months to get around to fitting it lol...

Here is a link to the install in my thread..
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?76389-tufftybloke-s-S3-minor-modding-thread/page13#609

<tuffty/>
  6. jdas03

jdas03 Member

[Jul 25, 2010]
    I have Bose in my s3, coming from a car with a basic stereo I love Bose! For me it's great quality and I have a tape in my hu which means I can use the iPod tape adapter and play my iPhone perfectly through that! I'd recommend getting Bose!
  7. sportstractor

sportstractor Chugger

[Jul 25, 2010]
    i wouldnt be bothered about bose. Iv got it and its ok, the sub is lowsy and i replaced mine with a AMSS.
  8. Dazboss

Dazboss Like A Thristy Dingo ;)

[Jul 26, 2010]
    How do you know if you have the Bose system then ? mines a concert ?
  9. 1animal1

1animal1 The Clar!! it mouves!!! VCDS Map User

[Jul 26, 2010]
    stereo will say it upon switching on and your speaker covers will have a Bose emblem
  10. Nilz

Nilz Defo worth the wait :)

[Jul 26, 2010]
    The Bose is not all that at all, you are better off finding a decent car and not worry too much about the HU in there.
  11. tt ted

tt ted New Member

[Jul 26, 2010]
    Thanx for all the replies.

Looked at a couple since post. Decided to not worry about bose, but then found the right motor with it. Deal is done collect it next week, so thanx again. Will be on here a bit so hope can help others at some point.

ted
  12. 1animal1

1animal1 The Clar!! it mouves!!! VCDS Map User

[Jul 26, 2010]
    good man, now get ya name changed and take that nasty 'TT' you have in your name away,unless you enjoy blokes coming on to ya :)

na seriously, nice one mate...get some pics up asap and possibly get ya ass to Audis in the park in Kettering :)
  13. A3Tom

A3Tom Smell my finger.

[Jul 26, 2010]
    Bose shmose IMO.

Now I've cut the wire at the back of the HU its better but its only just good....not the ear related orgasm people expect from something with 'BOSE' written on it.
  14. Dazboss

Dazboss Like A Thristy Dingo ;)

[Jul 26, 2010]
    Mines not the Bose, system then but still im happy with it, not going to change anything on the stereo side.

Got other plans to it.
  15. Nilz

[Jul 27, 2010]
    Nice one Ted, get some pics up of the car once you get it.....
  16. lloydsta101

lloydsta101 Member

[Jul 27, 2010]
    Question... my speaker covers do not say Bose on them, but my Stereo says 'BOSE' every time it starts up. Does that mean I have it... or not? Not too bothered really, just curious! It's a pre-facelift by the way (don't know if that makes any difference).
  17. DJ_Troopa

DJ_Troopa K1 Driver

[Jul 27, 2010]
    I love my Bose system :)

Got 2 Aliante LTD's being installed in a couple months ;) I used to run these in my old car. Pure SQ! I do miss my bit of sound hehe.
  18. Nilz

[Jul 27, 2010]
    It may not be Bose, as i believe it can be programmed to have the stereo say Bose, but then again, im not sure if the speakers actually do say Bose or not.