1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie from Ilford with Audi A3 1.8t Sport

Discussion in 'The Welcome Section' started by ams, Nov 23, 2009.

1. ams

ams New Member

Hey all, Im Ams from Ilford, Just got myself an audi a3 1.8t Sport in white, 3 door, 1998 S Plate, Yellow Leathers, with 62k. I basically swapped this for VW Bolf gt tdi, it was half matt black and other half was jazz blue (im sure people round Ilford must of seen it, lol).

Right ive got a few plans for the car, but i will need help from fellow audi-sport.net members. Ill try get some pics up of my car, but a few questions tho, its the pre facelift model, can i fit facelift wings and lights to the car, also are the facelift model door handles different.

Also would love to see white audi a3 pics, but of inspiration, thanks everyone.
  2. L1 HCS

L1 HCS Active Member

:sign_welcome: to the forum.
  3. FactionOne

FactionOne Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Hi Ams,

Welcome to ASN.

You can fit facelift lights to your car with relative ease - as you've already identified, the wings are different to accomodate the difference in headlight design. So, you can either replace the wings (as you suggested), or go the easier route (which most take I would imagine), and just trim the existing panels to enable a good fit.

I'm sure there's detailed information in a sticky in the A3 8L section, but basically if you look at the leading edge of the wing with the light removed, you'll see a 'blank' portion which sits behind the light unit - it's a simple case of getting a dremmel (or similar tool) with a cutting disc and trimming back to the crease (it's advisable to leave a little margin on your first cut - you can cut it off but you can't stick it back on!); and the facelift headlights will then fit. You'll need some different wiring connections to the new headlights too - but it's possible to build your own 'adapter' harness to sit between the loom on the car and the revised connector on the light... It's all covered in 8L...

...And yes, the door handles were facelifted too.

All the best,

Rob.