Newbie - First Audi

Buxton2901

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have came across from UKPassats having just bought a A4 B8 Avant 2.7TDI Multitronic.

My first question is what should I making sure is changed when I first get it?
anything I should be worried about?
its done 141k abd been serviced every 6 months

thanks guys

Reactions: Sandra
Welcome to the forum :)

The V6 TDI engine is pretty bombproof, with very few major problems - they will run and run well into 300k+ mileages if maintained. On the B8 A4 the "problem engine" seems to be the 2.0T petrol which has all sorts of piston ring issues, they are very sensitive to how they are run in from new but I digress...

There have been horror stories with the Multitronic gearbox - most seem to be due to skimped maintenance and how they are treated. Early ones (10 years ago) had a high failure rate and got a bad reputation. Again, if you have a full dealer service history and the fluid has been changed to the Audi schedule then it should be fine.

Welcome to the forum :)

The V6 TDI engine is pretty bombproof, with very few major problems - they will run and run well into 300k+ mileages if maintained. On the B8 A4 the "problem engine" seems to be the 2.0T petrol which has all sorts of piston ring issues, they are very sensitive to how they are run in from new but I digress...

There have been horror stories with the Multitronic gearbox - most seem to be due to skimped maintenance and how they are treated. Early ones (10 years ago) had a high failure rate and got a bad reputation. Again, if you have a full dealer service history and the fluid has been changed to the Audi schedule then it should be fine.

Thanks rapid,
Your opinions are greatly appreciated and have put mine and the missus minds at rest. It looks like it has had the transmission oil changed and the dealer is doing it along with a service before we collect the beast.
Can't wait

Any good features that should comes as standard? New toys to play with lol

Hi Guys,
I have came across from UKPassats having just bought a A4 B8 Avant 2.7TDI Multitronic.

My first question is what should I making sure is changed when I first get it?
anything I should be worried about?
its done 141k abd been serviced every 6 months

thanks guys
Hi :welcome!:to audi-sport.net. I hope you enjoy your car. We are all very friendly and helpful on here. Look forward to :sign pics:. Enjoy the forum. :) x

Hi :welcome!:to audi-sport.net. I hope you enjoy your car. We are all very friendly and helpful on here. Look forward to :sign pics:. Enjoy the forum. :) x

Thanks Sandra. Was gutted to leave UKpassat and it took me a while to find the best Audi forum.
Just trying to find out people's views and experiences with these cars.
Can't wait to pick her up and will post pics

Thanks Sandra. Was gutted to leave UKpassat and it took me a while to find the best Audi forum.
Just trying to find out people's views and experiences with these cars.
Can't wait to pick her up and will post pics
You found us now, you will soon meet up with lots of new people. Where you located? :) x

:jump:I have tried to attach photos, don't know if it will work guys

Attachments

• IMG_20150122_184211.jpg
    IMG_20150122_184211.jpg
    570.5 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_20150122_183919.jpg
    IMG_20150122_183919.jpg
    490.9 KB · Views: 119
I'm in Newcastle.
Also this is our first auto.
Any tips using the multitronic???

I'm in Newcastle.
Also this is our first auto.
Any tips using the multitronic???

Don't rush to hit the throttle when going from forward to reverse otherwise it makes it jerk.
Other than that they are a very smooth transmission. Enjoy the Audi :)

Don't rush to hit the throttle when going from forward to reverse otherwise it makes it jerk.
Other than that they are a very smooth transmission. Enjoy the Audi :)

Thanks zafi,
I had heard that. How about going from reverse back into drive? Is it the same

Thanks rapid,

Any good features that should comes as standard? New toys to play with lol

MMI with Satnav and Bluetooth is probably the cool feature I have on mine - not sure if yours has it or not, as it is still a fairly pricey option. Along with heated seats it's one of those 'how did I ever do without it' features.

:( No mine doesn't have it.
Can I still change settings via the screen though? Like come home lights etc

MMI with Satnav and Bluetooth is probably the cool feature I have on mine - not sure if yours has it or not, as it is still a fairly pricey option. Along with heated seats it's one of those 'how did I ever do without it' features.

Yes you can do all of that on the radio, as it has an MMI-style controller. Just hit the "CAR" button and explore the menus, you will see all the settings for stuff like this.

yay, I was hoping that was the case.
also thinking of getting vagcom, any ideas on price and what I need exactly?

thanks

yay, I was hoping that was the case.
also thinking of getting vagcom, any ideas on price and what I need exactly?

thanks

You are looking at probably £350-£400 for a legal licence for Vag-Com + the connecting leads etc, obviously you need a half decent laptop. It is however, an extremely powerful and indispensable tool and allows you to do any job you can think of from tuning, diagnostics, coding modules, and tweaking the car's systems. A cautionary note it is also quite dangerous in unskilled hands given the things you can alter and tamper with. If you are serious about modding the car (or if you like to have a tinker...) then it's a worthwhile investment but obviously if you change to a non-VAG car in the future it can be a bit of a waste of money.

Equally, you can pick up a half decent diagnostic reader for £50, even less - but good ones start at that price - which will do the absolute basics of reading fault codes and resetting the ECUs which is what the vast majority of people want to do.

All depends on how serious you want to go.

VCDS is £260 iirc for the cable and support from Ross tech.A must have if u plan to stay with Audi.
Contact NHN the site sponsor and genuine reseller In the Uk.