Newbie Confused!!

vanbasten

Reaction score
Ok, so I've decided to change my original bose concert headunit for a sony one with cd changer.

However, on buying the autoleads wiring adapter and connecting up my stereo have found that although power is going into the unit as it starts whirring when connected, the headunit does not have any life about it.

Any one know why this would be?

Apologies if this has been covered before but i've tried searchin the forums and cant find any relevant information.

Most newer Audi looms don't have an ignition on feed, the 3rd pin on the bottom row, so you'll need to connect the yellow ignition on power on the Sony to the perm live on the Audi loom. Easiest way is to splice the yellow to the red on the Sony loom before the ISO connector then you don't have to modify the Audi loom.

AndyMac said:
Most newer Audi looms don't have an ignition on feed, the 3rd pin on the bottom row, so you'll need to connect the yellow ignition on power on the Sony to the perm live on the Audi loom. Easiest way is to splice the yellow to the red on the Sony loom before the ISO connector then you don't have to modify the Audi loom.

Thanks for answering AndyMac, I'm using the autoleads adapter to join the audi looms to the sony loom. What wires should be spliced?

Sorry for asking such obvious questions but is my first time trying to install an aftermarket headunit.

You have 2 power connections for the Sony, one for permanent 12v to keep all your presets live, and one for turning the HU on/off usually with the ignition.
Red is usually perm live, yellow is usually ignition on live.
The industry standard for HU's is to use a Black ISO power connector, with the perm live top right (looking at the back of the Audi connector where the wires go in with the locking pin on the left), earth bottom right and ignition on 3rd from right on the bottom row.
So if the Sony has an ISO connector for power then it'll be expecting the this pinout on the Audi loom. Look at the Audi loom and check that there is no ignition on cable 3rd from right on bottom row.
If this is the case then the HU is getting no power to switch it on.
So the yellow feed to the Sony is not connected to anything, cut it and connect it to the red perm live wire (top right on the Audi loom, top left on the Sony end). It would be so much easier with pictures.

If you're still unsure then post a pic of the Sony loom together with the Audi loom

I checked the looms and found that as you said, there was no no ignition on cable in the audi loom.

Will patch it in to the permanent live feed later today.

You can wire up the ignition on feed to the fusebox to pick up the switched feed, but I could only find a full ignition on rather than an accessory on feed. So the HU turns off with the engine rather than when you take the keys out, so I didn't bother. The proper accessory feed is usually labelled as Radio (S-Kont) but this wasn't listed on my B6, and checking each fuse none of them provided 12v without the engine running, or full ignition on.