Newbie A4 1.9 tdi lowering advice needed

Ciaranfox09

Reaction score
Hi all,

First post my name is ciaran and im living in cork ireland im looking for some advice on what to do with my tdi a4 it a great car and gives great mpg and is cheap to run but I want to lower the car and give it a more up to date look as its 99 and getting dated looking hopefully i will get some 17/18 in wheels aswell for it eventually.

First of all i use my car every day for going to college which is an 80mile round trip so i will be putting up a few miles. Before i bought the car it had all front suspension arms replaced and has done only a couple of thousand miles sence.

Currently the car has done 110 thousand miles on what look (and feel) like the original shocks i want to go for around a 50mm drop and im leaning towards getting coilovers.

The biggest thing i am worried about before lowering the car is with a 50mm drop will i be wearing out my front suspension arms super quick ?

Will it be putting a lot of pressure on the other suspension components ?

Is there anything else i need to consider before doing this ?

Thanks for your help
Ciaran

Personally, i wouldnt bother with coilovers, unless your going to spend over a grand and buy good ones.

Given your mileage, i'd suggest a good set of shocks and springs would be far more suitable. I have Eibach Pro-kit springs and dampers on mine, and its perfect as a road car. Take a look at the Bilstein B12 Pro-Kit, as this comes with eibach springs, and Bilstein B6 or 8 shocks. Its a really nice combination which gives the right amount of lowering but manages to ride better than the standard car.

You shouldnt wear the front arms out after lowering, but you will need to slacken and retighten all the rubber bushes to ensure they're not running with too much pre-load once lowered.