Newbie A3 2.0tdi 170 Quattro performance issues

A_rockett

Reaction score
Hello guys! I'm new to world of Audi A3 cars just having mine now about 3 weeks. Gotta say I'm loving it! But I do have a few issues one of which I can't locate anywhere else in the forum. Basically the top end of my car, which is as the titles says 2.0tdi 170bhp Quattro, is none existant. I know because it's a Quattro it's heavier than the 2wd model but when it gets to 105-110 it's just like it hits a brickwall and it's not interested in putting out anything else. If anyone has any ideas I'd be very grateful. It's been in to my local garage and had a diagnostics, they said nothing flagged up. Occasionally aswell, accelerating hard in lower gears just as it gets over 2,000rpm it can occasionally misfire. Otherwise general day to day running it's fine, just seems to be missing a bit of performance somewhere. Hope you guys can help!

Adam

That puts your can into the 8P2 spec then as far as im aware, your engine is whats called a PD170 as apose to the newer 58 onwards 8P3 CR170. Our engines were fitted with weak injectors from new and Audi/VW did a recall on all 2.0TDi PD engines.

I would contact your nearest Audi and tell them your redge and see if its had the new injectors. This could have something to do with the "missfire"

As for top speed i am unsure as the 170 should be able to cruise at the speeds you say it flatens out at :/

Keep us posted regarding injectors, and if you send it in to Audi bare in mind they are giving you 1K+ of work for free so may try and tell you other stuff is broke. With me they said my glow plug was broke and i needed a new plug and wiring harness.

You need to eyes in the back of your head with main dealer.

Jonny.

Thank you Jonny for your responses. I have contacted Audi this week though and they told me my injector recall work had been completed at the beginning of 2012. As for the top end bit, maybe I'm just expecting to much out of it.

Ok, did your garage use a generic OBD fault code reader or the VCDS/VAG Com?

And i can only speak for the FWD 170, but like i said mine would quite happily cruise at that speed.

Umm I'm not overly sure if I'm honest. Not really the mechanically brained type so I wouldn't ever ask those questions. What differences could these make? And yeah I do feel like there's something missing from it.

As far as im aware a generic OBD Fault reader will only record/show current faults eg EML.

VCDS/VAGCOM can collect all minor faults which do not even show a EML. If you remove a rear light to change a lamp it will store down the light has been removed and until this is reset it will show as a "logged fault".

Just a thought buddy as the guy at garage may have been using VCDS/VAGCOM, but if not i would try and get a scan done :)

Where abouts are you based as there is many people on here which have the software and are a hell of a lot cheaper than the main dealer!

There is a VCDS/VAGCOM map aswell somewhere on this forum,

Oh right ok. Yeah I'm not sure, they're audi/Volkswagen approved but that doesn't necessarily mean they use all the same equipment I suppose. I'm South West, Taunton area in Somerset. I did have my car booked in for remap and DPF valve removal at Avon Tuning but I may have to suspend that for a little while until I get these niggles sorted out. I have emailed them about it and am just waiting for a reply to see if they had any ideas.

I have been informed that they use a VCDS fault code reader. So that cancels that out I suppose.

Its definitely down on power. What kinda fuel are u using in the car? The most i ever got out of mine, on the long straight at nurburgring, was 138 with my foot planted.

Id do a few simple things to begin with, remove the fuel filter and clean filter housing. Inspect for any residue in the housing. Renew fuel filter and start running on v power diesel for a bit. When was the last service done? In particular the air filter

I'm currently using Vpower diesel from Shell, been using it for about 2 weeks. Umm it had a full service about 3 weeks ago so I would assume they would have done most things.

Occasionally aswell it will blow out a bit of white smoke, usually when idle and sound like the engine is juddering a little bit. Like hardly at all but you can notice it.

Looking for fault codes isn't really going to help here. It needs VCDS to log the sensor values to see how much fuel and boost it is using to see if anything abnormal flags up. My first test would be the MAF.

Rick