NewB, need help: Wire color: delta radio

VuDuStetson

Reaction score
hi i'm new and need a little help. i have a '97 A4 w/ delta cassette player in the car. does anybody know the which wire color corresponds to which speakers? i play on putting in my aftermarket receiver and hook up a 4ch amp for all the factory speakers, and a mono amp for my sub.
any help would be greatly appreciated,
thanks

Hi VuDu
Welcome to the forum. You've got a couple of options. The A4 only has speaker connections for the front speakers at the HU. The rear speakers are driven by a puney little amp bolted to the nearside rear driver in the parcel shelf, from lineouts off the HU. As you are replacing the HU (good decision) you will need to run new speaker cable from your amp to the rears in order to by pass the Audi amp. You'll probably need to solder the new cable onto the speaker connections, see below. So the only pick up you need from your new setup is the front speaker loom. This is actually a standard ISO connector (a first for Audi to use industry standard connections) so all you need is an ISO male speaker adapter (about £8 from Halfords or Les Smith) which will give you 4 sets of speaker connections, with only the 2 middle ones working, for the front speakers. This will enable you to plug into the Audi harness and run new speaker cable back to the amp. The power for the HU is also standard ISO, so new HU should plug straight into the existing harness. Good Luck, you will notice a huge difference. I've replaced every component in my A4, mostly Alpine (4 x 50w amp, 1 x 300w amp & sub) Pioneer component speakers all round, Alpine HU & changer, and the results are superb.

ok, i think that i can figure it out, i could look at the middle wires on the female plug and those should be the wires for the front speakers? and those are already components? thanks andy

Yes, you can hook into the loom using the very small spade connectors, or just piggyback onto the wires. Good Luck.

how easy is it to remove the delta HU? and what's the proceedure, i just don't want to screw up my dash. any special tools needed to pull out?

You need special tools like these ideally. But I've managed to do it with 2 jigsaw blades in the past, can take a while though and there is the danger of bending the metal clips out of shape which makes it even more difficult to get out. The key is not to force anything. The spring clips push outwards into the aperture, so you need to hook them back in towards the HU in order to release it. The main difficulty is being able to pull the unit once you think you have released the clips, which is why the tools shown below have finger holes to pull on. You can get them on ebay for a few quid.

andy, thanks alot man, i just put the system in and its great. sounds so clean and the install is totally clean. took about 4 hrs running all the wiring and everything. pics to come soon. thanks again andy