1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new wheels ....tyre sizes

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by IGI, Mar 30, 2012.

1. IGI

IGI Member

[Mar 30, 2012]
    Been looking at getting some new wheels for the S3 .....been looking at ch and lm reps in a staggered fitment ...so 8" fronts 9" rears
    Currently running rstt with 225 40 18 all round.... however two tyres are good and two are knackered so i need to buy 2 new ones anyway
    My question is what size tyres should i get for the rears ...should i go wider 235 or 245 as not overly keen on stretched tyres
    I know a few of you guys run these staggered wheels opinions please and thanks :icon_thumright:
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 29, 2014]

3. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator

[Mar 30, 2012]
    Keep the tyres the same size front and rear mate. The Haldex doesn't like different rolling radius between the front and rear axles, you could potentially confuse it and break your 4wd system basically.
  4. IGI

IGI Member

[Mar 30, 2012]
    hey jojo i get the point about rolling radius and it confusing the 4wd system ....however its a fairly modern system and there is inbuilt tolerances to account for tyre wear etc ..... i remember when i worked at vx dealer the old vx cavalier 4wd system you were supposed to keep tyre tread depths the same all round
    We get a lot of bmw cars in with original staggered wheels they may have 225 40 18 fronts but 245 35 18 rears i presume this is to keep the radius the same
    I dont run spacers on my wheels and thought the 9" rears would fill the arches out better....i can get 4 x 9" wheels thought they may be a bit wide on front ?
    The rep ch do look better in 9" wide due to having more dish but dont really want to muck the handling up as i like to drive the car hard
  5. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator

[Mar 30, 2012]
    Yes, the built in tolerance is less than 5% off the top of my head. I'd stick with 8 or 8.5" on the front, 9s will fit, but looks silly in my opinion. If you don't want to muck up your handling, then stick with 225 section tyres on the rear and space them out to fill the arches. The S3 has an understeery chassis, so sticking wider tyres on the rear will kill your turn in.