1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new wheels question

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by 347, Dec 28, 2007.

1. 347

347 Active Member
    VCDS Map User

hi all
    i have fitted a set of 18" rs4 reps to my car .
    now i was expecting a slight drop in economy but it has drastically dropped .
    when i fill up the dis now reads 500 miles before fill up and the average fuel consumption is down to 37 mpg.
    has any one else experienced this , or have i got a fault ?
    vag com has scanned with no faults
    any help ?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. synthdood

synthdood Member

Is the diameter of the new wheels including the tyres different from the old ones? If that is the case you would need to recode the car to make it show the correct speed, distance and consumption since these figures are all measured by measuring the rotation speed/distance of the wheels.

4. 347

347 Active Member
    VCDS Map User

thanks for reply
    the car is 04 a3 2.0 tdi ,
    original wheels were 17" parabolic with 45 profile , the 18" are in 40 profile , according to wheel supplier that is the correct profile ?
    how can i re code ?

5. Randomjim

Randomjim Active Member

I've never heard of new wheels affecting the mileage like that. 40 profile is correct.

6. -Ju-

-Ju- Well-Known Member
    Audi S3

I believe my 19" RS4 reps knock the mileage down by about 2 or 3 mpg.
    I did weigh them in comparison to my original 17's and they were around 2.5kg heavier, The oem ones being about 22kg and the reps being 24.5kg there or there abouts.

I would love my mpg to be 37 though as mine is currently 18 :laugh:, still the noise makes up for it!!!

7. 347

347 Active Member
    VCDS Map User

yeah i know what you are saying regarding the weight of the wheel ,
    i didnt weigh them but the 18s were not mega heavy compared to originals .
    one of the reasons i sold my s3 was fuel consumtion and im heading back that way , now where did i leave them 17s. . . . . . . . .:sadlike:

8. Teejay

Teejay Mellow Yellow

I have 18" R8 Replicas which with tyres are noticeably lighter than the 17's which came off. I also have noticed a drop in mpg. Recently been getting 39-40 rather than the previous 40-42.

Unfortunately my new wheels coincide with a trip to the Audi stealers where an updated software version was uploaded - def more responsive, so could just be the way I'm driving :(

May also be the fact that all recent miles have been covered with lights & wipers on.