New wheels, and what to do with old ones?

Squirrelofdoom

Reaction score
Hello chaps,

So, got my new wheels on, pictures below (please ignore the car's dirty bum :p )

Question now is what to do with the old ones. They are RS4 reps have gloss black half diamond cut, but they were on the car when I bought it and are quite worse for wear. They would all need refurbing and I believe two of them are buckled too. Guess my options are: see if anyone wants them, refurb them and then sell them on, or just weigh them in for scrap...

Cheers,
Aran

Attachments

• IMAG0605.jpg
    IMAG0605.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 133
  • IMAG0606.jpg
    IMAG0606.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 110
You'll find a buyer for those easy mate as they're fairly popular even the reps.

If I was you I'd keep a spare set of wheels if you have space to keep them. It's always nice to have a spare set incase you get a puncture or don't want to wreck your new ones in the winter. I have a spare set with track rubber but I'm lucky enough to have the space to store them.

New wheels look great by the way.

all good suggestions guys... :p Might hop along to a refurbist just to see how much they would be to refurb, and then use them as winter wheels

all good suggestions guys... :p Might hop along to a refurbist just to see how much they would be to refurb, and then use them as winter wheels

If you are going to use them as 'winter wheels', don't bother refurbing them. If you are going to refub them, then sell them afterwards. Personally, I'd just sell them as they are, instead of wasting time and money on them, unless they was mega rare, and worth a bit in MINT condition.

only problem I have with selling them is that 2 of them are buckled. Not badly buckled as I used them for months, but above 70mph you get some wheel wobble with them

was thinking that, refurbing "buckledness" (yes, that's a word :p) is costly, probably too costly for these.

Spare set of wheels can really get you out of the shiz when needed as I've experianced in the past being at the mercy of the nearest tyre dealer who had a set of wheels to fit my car when an alloy decided to crack on me ;)

Also came in handy when had a blow out yesterday as can buy a replacement tyre at my leisure at a price that's reasonable

lol, you just want a new mani Karl :p You pay for the mould and then i'll supply my alloy :)

Are you sure there buckled?
try getting the balanced properly, weights fall off and so forth, and its cheap

yeah, i spun the wheels and you can tell when you drive behind the car that they are buckled. If you roll them along a flat floor they wobble a lot too :)

I personally would save the money you would spend on fixing/repairing them and use them for winter wheels - depending on what what state the current tyres are- put some winter tread on and use them across the snowy/icey season. They should last for a few winters then.

You won't be going over 70mph in that sort of weather and it will save your decent wheels from getting scuffed.

I have my 17" avus alloys that will be coming out when the snowy.icy weather comes that have winter tyres on and I will be taking the BBS' into hibernation that has summer tyres on.

alright then, let's take the thread in a new direction then. What's some good 18" winter rubber?

Keep em as a winter set as mentioned already, I have a set of 17" tt wheels I am gonna do this with them as I have seen a couple of cheap ish sets of part worn winter tyres on eBay

For winters you really dont want 18's.

Get some 17's or even 16's so you've got a decent amount of rubber between you and the road.

I run Dunlop WinterSport 3D's on my avant (might be swapping to 4D's this year), and Nokian WRG2's on the saloon.

Goodyear Ultra Grip Performance 2 and Continental TS830P's are also worth a look.

Cheap winters are a waste of money, because they're only any use in actual snow. In the damp/wet/cold conditions you'll get most of the winter months they're completely useless and you'd be better on summer tyres. Good winters however will perform well in all winter conditions from cold/frosty/wet/greasy roads thru to actual snow.

If your not wanting to spend the £600 it'll cost you for a new set of decent winters, then get yourself on german ebay, and find some part worns with at least 6mm of tread on them. I got both my sets for around £250.