1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New User - help needed

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by markt, Dec 2, 2003.

1. markt

markt New Member

[Dec 2, 2003]
    Enjoying this forum and wanted to join in! Own a 1.8T A4 Avant 2003 (163bhp).

After 7000 miles (picked up car in March) the car is starting to warm up on its performance. However, I have heard that a very simple process of `chipping` would increase power to around 200 bhp. Im sure this would cock up the warranty but would be grateful for advice and general thoughts.

Mark
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 19, 2014]

3. DavidR

DavidR Active Member

[Dec 2, 2003]
    Mark, there are SOOOO many posts re chipping, you'll find a wealth of info here by using the search tool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

However, you are correct, for about £500 you can get almost 200bhp and 220lbft torque, respected tuning companies in the UK include APR, AmD, Star, Jabba, MTM and a few others. Some include software to hide the chip from the dealers to avoid warranty problems, but most dealers don't care less and probbably dont even notice....
  4. markt

markt New Member

[Dec 2, 2003]
    Many thanks. Would it fox a main dealer? Im a bit worried about the warranty situation but yearn for more power.

I test drove a new S4 (v8) at an Audi day in the summer and since then my 1.8T has felt a bit slow. Im probably being ridiculous but grunt would, I feel, complete my A4. Also, other have told me that the car will get quicker with age. Is this true and does 200 bhp make that much difference?

5. markt

markt New Member

[Dec 4, 2003]
    Gambba,

Just spoken to Revo. Sounds like a great deal £499 plus vat to get 195bhp and 225 torque with a switch. Am taking the free 5 hour trial which allows you get the feel for the changes. They say the ecu upgrade in undetectable to the Audi diagnostics and 195 bhp is way way within limits.

I will report back after free trial.

Mark /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif
  6. Gambba

Gambba Active Member

[Dec 4, 2003]
    Mark,

195hp is well within the limits with I think 350hp being the upper limit before tuners decide to make internal modifications. Would suggest you do a search on REVO on the forums as there are a number of issues which have been brought up, not saying that you have to believe it all but it's peoples opinions and I suppose they must count for something. Which ever tuner you go with will bring a grin to your face, and all I'll say is do your research and go with your gut feeling.

As for warranty, give your dealer a call and see how your particular dealer stands with chipping, and if it's a no go with them then try other local dealers.....failing that I'd personally just do it, the likelihood of them blaming a failure on the chip is small IMO.

Not sure I've made it any easier for you, but it gives you something to think about.