New tyres.. when?

KG648

Reaction score
I have a 2011 A5 Sportback sadly only FWD.

my fronts both have 3.1mm on, at what point does "performance" degrade?

Any recommendations on tyres to get if so? I have Bridgestone's all-around which seem to have an F rating for fuel, which I guess is pretty bad, I guess I want to keep same tyres all round and rears have 5mm on so don't want to change them yet.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Most people would say around 3mm in honesty. Obviously the legal limit is 1.6mm but I would probably be getting nervous about 2/2.5mm.

I highly recommend GoodYear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2, although I believe they have been replaced by newer Asym 3's now. Also the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx or Michelin PS4's. Cant go wrong with any of those three.

It's fine to replace by axel's, particularly with FWD, but remember to swap your rear tyres to the front, and put the new tyres on the rear. You always want the higher tread depth on the rear wheels.

Try BlackCircle or Tyreleader for good prices. Also ask your local indie garage. I did have an issue with TyreLeader ones, when the sent only 3/4 tyres I ordered and since they are a German company, was a bit of a pain getting my money back. For the extra few quid, I would probably go BlackCircles now.

Reactions: Neil_M and Scottyg
Re 3 mm , I like to get my money's worth out of tyres , lol .

Just drive to the conditions and don't switch off any abs /traction control when it's raining .

As above , top draw and new this year .

Dunlop Sport Maxx RT 2
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3
Michelin Pilot Sport 4 .

I would swap the rears to the front and replace the rear tyres. After a few months when the weather gets cooler/ wetter replace the fronts.
Tyreleader.co.uk is good for tyres at good prices.

Reactions: Scottk
Re 3 mm , I like to get my money's worth out of tyres , lol .

Could end up being a false economy if the worst happens though...!

I sold my A5 with about 3mm left on the front and told the new owner that they probably want to think about changing soon. I was fairly happy driving about with them. However, no less than a month later when I got my S5 with obviously brand new tyres/brakes etc, I had a close call when a dog ran out onto a dual carriageway while it was raining. The car in front slammed on the brakes to avoid it, and while I seemed to react well enough, I must of been inches away from the back of the car as we came to a stop...

Did think it could of been very different had I been in my A5 still....

Doggy was pretty hurt and never found out if it made it :(

I would swap the rears to the front and replace the rear tyres. After a few months when the weather gets cooler/ wetter replace the fronts.
Tyreleader.co.uk is good for tyres at good prices.

Just to clarify you saying you would change them now?

Thanks all for the advice/suggestions so far.

I also have a rather good offer of some Pirelli P zero's, is this a bad option? I am not ignoring the suggestions above just as it's on the table.

Without going to Audi directly as it's a 70 mile round trip for me, I need to find somewhere that won't damage my Alloy's. :)

Just to clarify you saying you would change them now?

Thanks all for the advice/suggestions so far.

I also have a rather good offer of some Pirelli P zero's, is this a bad option? I am not ignoring the suggestions above just as it's on the table.

Without going to Audi directly as it's a 70 mile round trip for me, I need to find somewhere that won't damage my Alloy's. :)

Depends which version the P Zeros are. I had the older version with a poor wet rating and found them awful. Mine feathered and heard lots of people with the same issues. However if they have an A rating for the wet then apparently they can be very good.

Take pics before you get them fitted and make sure the garage accepts that they are perfect before they do the work.

I would swap front to rear and then see about getting 4 new tyres for winter (depending on your mileage) or at least check them before winter. I wouldn't worry too much about fuel rating-I saw an article that said the difference between A and F was about £8 in fuel over the life of the tyre. More important to get good grip and wet performance.

It will vary with manufacturer.

However you are at least aware of your worn tyres which is more than most.