New tyres suggestions?

MattyW19

Reaction score
Hi,

After the car has just recently hit 7,000 miles, I have noticed that the two front tyres have worn a MASSIVE amount in comparison to the rears. I'm currently running continental contact 2 which came with the car.

As theres probably only a couple of thousand left in them, I was wondering what type of tyre do you recommend? As my brother seems to be happy with his Dunlop Sportmaxx's, but the ratings on ATS don't seem to be any where near as mine? - Granted they are useless in the snow!! Should I go for these?

Thanks

I put Hankook Ventus S1s on mine recently and love them. very good tyre for the money

I've been impressed with my conti sport contact 3, depends on your budget I think

I had bridgestone potenza's on my A3 tdi and now have Good year eagle F1's - can't say I really notice a difference as both were excellent!

I had Federal's before and BCT's which were shiiiite!!!

My S3 has been shod with Bridgestone Potenza's from factory and they're so so.

The Falkens work incredibly well for the money, so a vote from me, and if you feel compelled to spend more then I like Michelin Pilot Sport 3's or Goodyear Assymetrics. That said, these tyres work very well with Haldex, hard to say whether they would deliver so well on 2wd.

Ive just had 4 x Avon ZZ5's (235 35 19's) put on the S3 - amazing even when pushing around corners. Really impressed and £100 per corner less than dunlops i had before!

I had Bridgestone Potenza's from the factory, but never really liked them.

Recently purchased Michelin PS3's which I am impressed with so far. The one thing you can't seem to get rid off no matter how much you spend on tyres is the god awful road noise.

Of all the cars I've owned this has the noisiest road noise on motorways.

I've just put Falken 452 s on my S3 and they seem very good , especially at 95 quid a corner all in .

I've just put Falken 452 s on my S3 and they seem very good , especially at 95 quid a corner all in .

£82.12 each on Black Circles.

Even better - £76.00 on Camskill! On offer

Last edited:
Ran these on my K1 and my RS4:

225/40 ZR18 Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta XL 92Y -** SPECIAL OFFER ** AVAILABLE FOR IMMEDIATE SAME DAY DISPATCH ** | Vredestein | Click On Tyres

Rate them highly and will be changing to them once mine are gone on the current car.

these almost killed me ,they have epic grip but no good on high speed corners,they are very unstable as their sidewalls are too thin,if you intend going on track dont get these,im giving these a go on the next change ,apparently excellent tyre for fast road/track

think I will give falkens a try too. Got budget tyres that came with a package and they are imho shocking. Only done a few k on them but they are going to be the death of me lol

Thanks for the responses! I'm abit unsure of what tyre to go for now! I was looking at the premium branding ones and I came across either the Hankook Ventus S1, PS3's and the Dunlop Maxx. The Falkens seem to be in the mid range?

I was interested in the Hankooks as the tread is quite similar to the contis (which will be running on rear) however is PS3 the better tyre?

Last edited:
Falken ZE912 is a good tyre too, wears less than the 452 and is an all season tyre rather than the 452 which is a high performance summer tyre

obviously if you have an S3 then 452 would be the way to go!

If you haggle around you should be able to get a tyre fitted and balanced £10-12 a corner

I also rate the Sessantas!

I think they are massively under rated but are becoming more and more popular, hence the price increase over the past few months. I know they are popular with the M3 boys as well as the RS4 boys too. Ran them very hard on the RS4 and that thing is on the heavy side of lardy, they never missed a beat.

Also Damian from click-on-tyres is a genuinely nice bloke.

Falken ZE912 is a good tyre too, wears less than the 452 and is an all season tyre rather than the 452 which is a high performance summer tyre

If you haggle around you should be able to get a tyre fitted and balanced £10-12 a corner

Are these the right ones for a 57 plate a3 sportback sline 18"? FALKEN TYRES / CAR / FALKEN ZE912 ZIEX FALKEN ZE 912 - Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres - 18" R18" - 225/40/18, 225/40 R 18

the 912's are great IMO,i used them on an afla a couple of years ago,did a few events on them too and they held up well ,heres a youtube vid

I'm after tyres also, and checked out my local suppliers for options.
Falken FK452's £98.76 each fitted in VAT, did not seem to bad.....

Avon ZZ5's!!!!!!!!!!! great tyre, way better than ZZ3's

7k miles on brand new tyres!!! Does anyone else not think that's not good? especially on a 1.4TFSI, i'd expect it on the 2.0TFSI and S3's.

I'm still on my original set of Pirelli Zero Rosso's at 32,000 miles...and i'm no grandad!

32k :anbet:....im lucky to see 4k

lol, must be my Jenson Button driving style then! I realise they are a harder compound, and to be fair are crap in the wet on roundabouts but I put that down to the 1.9 lump in the front with hard compound tyres.

7k miles on brand new tyres!!! Does anyone else not think that's not good? especially on a 1.4TFSI, i'd expect it on the 2.0TFSI and S3's.

I'm still on my original set of Pirelli Zero Rosso's at 32,000 miles...and i'm no grandad!

Haha it's the power of the beast ;) To be honest I thought I was going to have Bridgestone but when I picked the car up they were contis! At best I probably have 2mm left before the indicator, however I can feel the front end going light in corners. My mum has a 1.8T A4 Cab and she managed 8,000 miles on the same tyre - There rubbish.. which my neighbour with the same tyre agreed!

I'm just after a decent grip tyre, which wears well and has a similar pattern to the contis? God help me in the snow!

Last edited: