New tyres for the A3, but which???

1animal1

The Clar!! it mouves!!!
Reaction score
ok, just getting the cars ready for Audis in the Park and in need of four new tyres for the A3, 3 are just legal but might aswell change all so will not need doing for a long time - idea was to get them for less than £350 for all 4 as she probably does 2-3000miles a year so no point in going to town on the quality

I was thinking Toyo 452's as i have read good things about them, obviously we dont want full budgets due to the power that will be going through the front wheels once the maps finally on

thoughts gents :)

sorry not Toyo....Falken 452's

Den, its been hard enough convincing her to spend another several hundred on it, nevermind doubling cost of a set otherwise i see where ya going fella ;)

ive just got 2 Pirelli Rosso's for £230 fitted which is by far the cheapest i could find and was hoping she'd follow suit....but thats just too much as she's having to fork out for the map soon too and doesnt want to wait :)

sorry not Toyo....Falken 452's

Den, its been hard enough convincing her to spend another several hundred on it, nevermind doubling cost of a set otherwise i see where ya going fella ;)

ive just got 2 Pirelli Rosso's for £230 fitted which is by far the cheapest i could find and was hoping she'd follow suit....but thats just too much as she's having to fork out for the map soon too and doesnt want to wait :)

Animal, My wife is the opposite (Lucky Me) she leaves all the decissions about her car to me. just replaced OE DV for Forge, suspension next or Remap, not sure in which order, then new alloys 17s or 18s.

DC

get the falkens Tim, they're a really good tyre.

Not quite up thre with the toyos, but considering the price, they're really very respectable! I ran them on mine for ages

my input is those kumho ku31s. highly highly recommend those. without a doubt a whole notch above toyo t1r wet or dry

Animal, My wife is the opposite (Lucky Me) she leaves all the decissions about her car to me. just replaced OE DV for Forge, suspension next or Remap, not sure in which order, then new alloys 17s or 18s.

DC

Yeah i've had that reign mate, trouble was a simple remap turned into this :)

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showth...)/page2&highlight=a3+fmic+downpipe+kingfisher

now the car is defeating the object of having a lump of scrap on the drive which only gets used once every 2-3weeks :)

cheers for all the help peoples..... gonna check out a couple of the mentioned pairs to see if im missing out, if not then Falkens it is Nick :)

Another vote for the avons here, put a set of part worns on the rears of my S3 and they lasted for ages, I think they out lived the new eagle F1's I put on the front at the same time. The back end never got into any trouble grip wise, dont know what they'd be like up front thou. Are you running 18's or 17's on the A3? Just checked the price on ZZ3 in 18's and there £95 a corner (eagle F1 are £115) ZZ3 in 17's are only £75 (price's from mytyres.co.uk so could be cheaper else where)

yeah choppoer i can get the 452's for the same money fitted from my local place as they have price matched Camskill @ £75 a corner plus fitting...think the ones you've linked are the cheaper option arent they?

£360 all in for 225/40/18 Falken 452's

still need to price up the other suggestions when i get 5

Ive had the 452's on my S3 for a while there good in the dry but not the best in damp and wet but then you get what you pay for

ok, im struggling to find a garage that will fit for less than £15 a corner..... with that in mind here are the options

Camskill unfitted Black Circles price

Toyo T1R Proxes £90.27 £125
Vredestein Sessanta £85.40 £90+vat (local dealer)
Kumho KU31 £76.10 £92
Falken 452 £65 £85
Avon ZZ3 £79 unknown

I think the Falkens are winning this by a country mile, additional money is gonna be substantial otherwise and it simply wont wash...cheers for the heads up peeps :)

Ive had the 452's on my S3 for a while there good in the dry but not the best in damp and wet but then you get what you pay for

yeah i fully agree with that concept..... im just not wanting to buy a full on hammer to smash a piece of thin glass ;)

How hard does your miss's push the car too? Is she likely to be ragging the nuts off the A3 in the wet?

but if you consider it from a safety point of view, i always imagine a wet/damp motorway and everything comes to a stop all of a sudden etc. you have to get on the brakes hard, you want as much of a chance as you can get... hence even on the missus 05 fiesta i had those kumhos put on there. a really nice tyre, even transformed her car compared to the previous conti premium contacts it had

Just got Toyo T1R's put on the S3, best tyre i've ever used and there not even run in yet.

Although there not the cheapest i think they were around £70-£80 a corner, camskill had them on offer.

Premium part worns from ebay?

na, the price difference isnt that huge mate...they all want a fortune for them....

How hard does your miss's push the car too? Is she likely to be ragging the nuts off the A3 in the wet?

It'll be around 220-230 bhp i think, although she will only be booting it on the bypass's more than likely when someone gives her grief

but if you consider it from a safety point of view, i always imagine a wet/damp motorway and everything comes to a stop all of a sudden etc. you have to get on the brakes hard, you want as much of a chance as you can get... hence even on the missus 05 fiesta i had those kumhos put on there. a really nice tyre, even transformed her car compared to the previous conti premium contacts it had

well any of the above should do i think given the reviews i have read, none are absolute budgets by any stretch....from what ive read

i got which was a bargain a full set of part worn (nearly new they are) continental sport contacts they ae 2 on front and just sport contacts on the back for 110 quid they are class in the wet and dry dead quiet aswel! i got 17's as i fitted some original s3 alloys...they are great i think

cheers Finny....ill have a look but the 17's are priced so differently to the 18's and much easier to come by in my experience

OK, I've had 7 sets of alloys on my Passat, and each time, I get new budget rubber, in 225/40 as it happens. Tyres to avoid like the plague are Marshal(these are made of plastic, not rubber, and last forever), Diamondback(These offer zero grip in the wet, wheelspin heaven when pulling off) and Cooper, you've not mentioned them, so that's good.
Tyres that my Passat gets on with are the Avon ZZ3's(had these twice), Falken's and the current tyres I have are Nankang NS2's. The current tyres I have are the Nankangs, and I have to admit, they are the best tyre I've had on this car. Good grip in the wet and dry, I was quite surprised how good they are for the price!

I've also noticed that different tyres gives different quality in ride also.

cheers Jo....i'll check out the Nankangs in comparison to the Falkens

had a look on the bay last night...funny how its changed over the years, you really have to hunt for the bargains.....
one guy was selling 2 Rosso's for £85 + £15 postage with 4mm of tread.... absolutely silly IMO considering your getting a very well used tyre

bridgestone potenza re050a`s. think i paid 340 in total for 4. i live in the french mountains and these do me fine.

http://www.blackcircles.com/ free fitting at the garage of your choice. can pm you an àdd a friend`code for extra discount too if you like

Bridgestones are £120 each fitted mate...you sure yours aren't 17's

Just bought a pair of part worn Bridgestone Potenzas for the S3 as need back tyres. 7mm tread on 1 and 6mm tread on the other in 225/45/17.

Bargain at £60 delivered for the pair..... get my mate to fit them for a tenner. :thumbsup:

Tim I run Falken 452's on both my BBS and my Rstt's and although I never drive my car realy hard they do seem like great Tyres