1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New TV & DVD-HDD Recorder - Connections questions.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema, Hi-Fi and Gadgets' started by jdp1962, Jun 2, 2007.

1. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Jun 2, 2007]
    I've just bought my first LCD TV, and an HDMI-equipped DVD-HDD recorder to go with it. The TV is a Sony KDL32-V2500, the recorder is a Panasonic DMR-EX85. I also have a Sky Plus box. I have connected them to the TV as follows:

Sky Plus box to AV1, via SCART:

Panasonic to AV2 via SCART, and to AV4 via HDMI.

The TV & DVD don't quite interract as I'd expected them to. This what I expected would happen.

TV to switch automatically to AV1 when I switch on the Sky box. It does that, so fine, no problem.

TV to switch automatically to either Av2 or AV4 when I switch on the DVD.

But it didn't do either of those when I switched on the DVD. Initiallly, the TV didn't auto-switch at all when the DVD wa switched on. It was only when I gave it command such as Direct Navigator or the Functions menu that it auto-switched the TV. And here's the weird bit, it switched to AV1, not AV2 or AV4. I could only get the DVD to play through AV2 and AV4 by selecting them on the TV remote. I tried disconnecting the DVD's SCART lead from the AV2 input - thinking that would make it auto-select AV4 via the HDI, and it still auto-switched to AV1! How can that happen when the Sky box is connected to the AV1 input?

What I would really like to do is have the TV auto-switch to AV1 (SCART) for the Sky box (which it does), auto-switch to AV4 (HDMI) for the DVD, and dispense with the SCART connection to AV2 altogether.

Can any one tell me what I am doing wrong. Are there connections I need to make (or unmake), and menu settings I need to apply to the DVD and/or the TV to make this work?

I more or less understand the manual instructions for the TV, but the DVD's user manual might as well be in Latin for all the sense I can make of it.

Help, please, guys!
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 16, 2014]

3. rowansbank

rowansbank Member

[Jun 2, 2007]
    Sorry, Jeff, can't help re connections but as I am going to go HD soon I'd be interested to learn why you chose the Sony over the equivalent Panasonic TV? (BTW the DMR-EX85 would be my choice too at the moment!)
  4. jdp1962

[Jun 2, 2007]
    It was a very fine call between the two, as there's virtually nothing to choose between them on performance, spec & price. In the end, my wife preferred the appearance of the Sony, and I preferred the layout of the remote.
  5. ManicMunky

ManicMunky Member

[Jun 3, 2007]
    not sure why, but my Samsung TV won't autoswitch to commponent and HDMI inputs, might just be "what happens"?
  6. jdp1962

[Jun 3, 2007]
    I tried every setting and menu option, but couldn't find a way of getting the TV to auto-switch to AV2 when I activated the Panasonic. So, in the end, I stopped trying. I removed the SCART connection between the Panasonic & the TV altogether (one less bulky cable to accommodate), and set the AV2 input on the TV to "Skip".

Now, when I activate either one of the DVD or the Sky Box, the TV auto-switches to AV1. If I'm using the DVD, I can then manually select AV4 to view it via the HDMI connection.

I'm still not sure how the DVD's signal is reaching the AV1 input on the TV, though. The only answer I can think of is if the SCART connection between the DVD & the Sky box is two-way, and the DVD is routing its signal back to the Sky Box first, and then on to the TV's AV1 input from there.

My next question is about upscaling. I've noticed that when I view content from the Panasonic DMR-EX85 via the HDMI-connnected AV4 input, the TV displays 1080i in the top corner.

Am I right in thinking that the DMR- EX85 is "upscaling" the source to match the best definition that the TV is capable of displaying?

If it is, what's the difference between, for example, the video image from a Sky Plus box sent via the EX85 (and presumably upscaled to 1080i) and the video image from a Sky HD box?