1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Turbo... or not to turbo, that is my question

S3_MCD Jun 1, 2006

1. S3_MCD

S3_MCD Member

Most will be aware by now that I have a new engine going into the car.... thanks to AUK, but down in the most part to Swindon Audi.

Am also having new clutch, Samco hoses, water pump etc fitted... as its just the cost of parts no additional labour.

What to do about the turbo? .... car is on 79,000 miles, 3.5 yrs old. I plan to keep her for another 3 or so yrs, to get the benefit of the new parts.

Refurb turbo from Audi is best part of £700, there is nothing wrong with the old one but there is wear and tear to consider.... if I dont replace now, how long before it goes?... labour at that time has got to be best part of £600 (if using dealer).

What are your thoughts, comments and suggestions guys?

Cheers
    Marcus.
    /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

2. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

I'd not bother mate! Its not a hard job with the engine in place, so leave it until its necessary!

3. VAGMAN1

VAGMAN1 Member

you should be able to get a turbo refurb in the region of £250

4. madvw

madvw Active Member

i'd leave it on for now. Especially if it's been off for inspection, they've already done the hard work of undoing the bolts for the first time in 79k miles... You may even be able to replace it yourself now if your keen!

5. Phlipper1

Phlipper1 New Member

Bolt on a bigger turbo and get a remap (with lots more horses).

6. S3_MCD

S3_MCD Member

No need to worry about the turbo .... as there was consequential damage to it.

Yet another part replace by AudiUK - FOC

:)