1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to photography

T3nnant May 26, 2014

1. T3nnant

T3nnant Active Member

Following a recent post of mine which included a few great pics of my car, I decided I wanted to get into photography.
    I bought myself a Canon 600D with a 15-55m lens kit.

Last night was a lovely night and I decided to get myself down Newcastle quayside for some photo's.

Im still learning so don't judge! haha

I took quite a few, and I was messing about with different exposures, iso's and whatnot
    This has to be my pride and joy of the night, I love it!

[​IMG]

No photoshop either (1# I don't have it 2# im useless with things like that)

a couple more which are ok I guess. Nothing special as I didn't use any flashes, purely just a raw photo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The last one is also pretty good I think.
    The rest are give or take, I probs could have done better with a phone camera to be honest.

Any criticism, advice and comments are welcome :)

Ghost likes this.
  2. Phil-1

Phil-1 Well-Known Member Regional Rep

I prefer the first one. The bridge with the 3 lamp post helps lead the eye into the photo.

Sorry second does nothing for me, but that's just me. If you like it that's all that matters ;-)

Third is well exposed but you have a lamp post growing out of the mirror and the roof ;-)

The last 2 are great but just need some room at the front of the car, it's just a bit tight in the frame.

All are well exposed and sharp. Photography is about getting out there and taking photos.

T3nnant likes this.
  3. T3nnant

T3nnant Active Member

To be honest mate, the one with the bridge was my first photo haha, I did have a couple attempts at it but im really proud of that for my first proper attempt.

I don't have a clue why the one of the sage is one this post... I cant even remember uploading it to be honest.
    As for the car photo's the last one is my fav, as you say just a shame its not more central.

agreed with the getting out there, I took multiple shots of things while changing settings and until you review them on computer you don't realise how much difference some small changes make!

4. Phil-1

Phil-1 Well-Known Member Regional Rep

When I first started I took a note book and made notes of the settings, now with digital cameras the data is stores with the photo. The best thing with digital is the film its free ( once you buy the memory stick) find a subject you are interested in and take lots of photos.
    Join a local club or a forum. And remember it's not the camera that takes the photo, it's the person behind it that does ;-)

T3nnant likes this.
  5. T3nnant

T3nnant Active Member

Very good idea to be honest!

Well iv watched a few videos on settings and stuff, and they say the hardest thing to master is the balance between all settings.
    Today iv just found out that a quicker shutter time is needed on brighter subjects, to much time and the picture is to bright!

Its a hobby that you can never master as everything changes as new software, cameras and filters come out.
    its a cool thing to experiment with and the possibilities are endless!

I will have a look for a group! it would be nice to have a helping hand with a few things.

:) cheers