New to forum - cruise control questions - retrofitter in Oxford area?

JCS

Reaction score
I've recently purchased my 3rd Audi in 9 years, an A3 8P 3.2 V6 Quattro. I'm loving the engine and the handling. It's so much easier to throw around than my old A6 2.5 Tdi Quattro Sport (the 180 bhp version), but I have to hold myself back from pressing the loud pedal at every opportunity as I've averaged only 27mpg over the last 600 miles. It's thirsty but almost worth it for the noise alone. The speed is just a bonus.

Anyway, it has no cruise. I've trawled this forum and others and it seems a simple job to get done or do yourself. My only question is whether or not I'll need to upgrade the steering controller. The car has DIS and the buttons on the wiper stalk for the trip computer. I read somewhere that this means it shouldn't need it. Can anyone who knows confirm this?. I've got an eBay special VCDS lead but can't get it to speak to anything other than the engine controller in the car so can't decipher from that whether I've got the right one. Again, if anyone knows how to get it to speak to the other controllers that would be helpful.

Finally, if I do fit it myself is there anyone in the Oxford area with a proper VCDS/Vag-com or is one of the forum retrofitters anywhere near me who could do it all for me for a reasonable price?

This forum is an absolute wealth of knowledge - thanks all.

Hi, welcome to audi-sport.net. We have site sponsors that retrofit this. They will supply/fit and code. Just send them a message. I will tag them and that will also notify them. Your looking to message @Ash187 and @NHN these guys are in your area. Hope you enjoy the forum. :) x

Nice car choice mate. I'm in oxford too, and have an 3.2 vr6 a3 aswell. any more details on the car or pics?

Hi, welcome to audi-sport.net. We have site sponsors that retrofit this. They will supply/fit and code. Just send them a message. I will tag them and that will also notify them. Your looking to message @Ash187 and @NHN these guys are in your area. Hope you enjoy the forum. :) x

I've got a 2004 A4 1.9TDI B6 and I'm also in the Oxford area and would be interested in getting cruise retrofitted if there's somewhere local that can do it!

I've got a 2004 A4 1.9TDI B6 and I'm also in the Oxford area and would be interested in getting cruise retrofitted if there's somewhere local that can do it!
Hi if your nterested in this also, send a message to ash187 and NHN . They will get back to you.

@Ash187 @NHN

Both ash187 and nhn are mobile retrofitters

Hi Sandra (@Sandra) , thanks for the info. I'll follow that up.

Haven't got any pics of the car yet (@omblad0n) and the spec is fairly standard though apparently is has S3 front brakes fitted. Not sure how I'd tell. Also it apparently had the engine remapped by the dealer when first new. Again, not sure how to tell but apparently it has 287 bhp. It certainly feels quite urgent. Still learning how to pull away smoothly despite the auto box.

I've seen others talking about lowering it a bit - it certainly stands quite high at the back. Will this affect ride and handling at all? The ride is already a bit on the firm side so I wouldn't want to make it any worse.

I live 20 miles down the road in Watchfield, nhn did my cruise control for my 3.2, was a nice chap.

The 3.2 has the same brakes as the s3, the 3.2 came out first so technically the s3 had the 3.2 brakes

I very much doubt you'd have 287bhp unless it's had the cams done - without a turbo bhp gains are pretty small. manifold, sport cats and stage 2 map is probably only about 260-270bhp. mine has scorpion cats, milltek cat back, induction kit and stage 2 map, and I normally doubt it's power is more than 260bhp. But it's still enough to have a bit of fun with.

For a smooth pull away let the brake up about a second before you use the accelerator, won't take you long to get used to it. Then get the dsg remapped to give you more control over gearchanges, does help improve the enjoyment of it.