1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to forum A3 opinions

Jason85 Dec 6, 2009

1. V6Pete

V6Pete Now running on Bentley's y'all

To go into reverse, you use it like a regular auto, and just slide the stick into 'R'.

If you want to drop 2 gears, just pull the paddle twice.

2. V6Pete

Considering you mentioned the Focus ST and CTR as options, I'm shocked that you're picking on the Golf interior!

Although not as Audi-ish as an A3 interior, it's well put together. My old Golf wasn't exciting, but certainly had no complaints about the interior.

3. Staz

Staz is a retronaut Moderator VCDS Map User

Just been out to Tesco and while in a queue there was a GTI waiting to pull out, an EP3 CTR burbled past and then an ST soon after. GTI all the way for me. It ticks nearly all the boxes :drool:

4. Ben H

Ben H On a journey...

I'd disagree with you on the Clio chassis - why else are some many Renaultsport Clios tracked?! Easily one of the most acclaimed and popular "good handlers" out there!

I'd agree wholeheartedly about the Quattro recommendation though. I think the Haldex set-up requires an oil change every 3 years / 30k miles, but otherwise doesn't seem to fail often?

Incidentally, in the wet today I managed to use the Quattro system to scrabble in front of an impatient CTR at some lights - really useful just for those short dashes into merging lanes etc. :)

5. N8

N8 Kowalski Details VCDS Map User

That Pete, is seriously, one of the funniest lines I've read on AS-Net this year :lmfao::laugh::arco:

100% agree with this also. Interiors on Civic and Focus are :sos: compared to Audi/Golf, how can you even compare. Once you drive/own a german car, you don't turn back man.

Agree Leon, if I couldn't afford A3 wanted a 2.0T, GTI all the way, with the right mods, I can look SERIOUS as well, i.e. my 3 examples, 3 of my fav Mk5s :wub::

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I agree Ben, I had a 172 and my cousin has a 197, power delivery is shambolic in the 197 compared to the 172, completley lacks the fun factor :Flush:

6. TAC

TAC Member

You'll be hard pushed to find an A3 or Golf thats lowish mileage and less than 5 years old for much under 12k.. Just had a quick look and there is not much out there for that sort of money unless you happy driving something thats been cat c or d repaired and I'd never advise that!! VW and Audi unfortunatly hold a premium slightly more than honda and ford, but you pay for what you get at the end of the day. If I was you and had 10k to spend i'd hold on to the money for another couple of months slog it out in the corsa and save up a little more and get the car you really want. 1. it will be worth it in terms of getting the exact spec you want 2. you'll love the car even more, trust me its what I always do and it was well worth the wait.:beerchug:

7. N8

:applaus:

8. V6Pete

9. TAC

TAC Member

10. N8

I'd try and find one with heated seats..

11. V6Pete

I didn't bother looking for that when I searched, because the OP is called Jason which I assumed meant he wasn't a big girl...

:tumble:

Only joking, I miss my heated seats. You can't beat roasting your chestnuts on a cold morning.

12. Jason85

Jason85 New Member

lol.

any reputable dealers about..i seen fontain on pistonheads

what are the 2.0T like with a bit of mileage? do turbos etc need replacing around that mileage and whats the cost of it

13. V6Pete

If it's been well maintained, and not been abused, then a turbo should see over 100K, so if you're looking at a reasonably low mileage car, then I wouldn't get hung up on that. A recon should only set you back a few hundred quid as an exchange.

14. N8

Its just a nice option to have, plus fills up the climate control, hate the BLANK spaces without it! :eiertritt:

15. Jason85

Jason85 New Member

for my budget id have to buy from an independent dealer...god knows what the car will be like....silly motorway miles...

contemplating just buying an EP3 or a Leon cupra R now lol til i earn more money :(

16. N8

Need to test drive them all, and see what you think Jase, then whatever your choice is, it'll be worth saving up for!

17. 8utters

8utters Member TeamMisano TFSI Owners Group Team V8 Audi RS4 quattro saloon Manual

..fair point about the Clio chassis, I was just especially unlucky with mine, I think I had a lemon. It went back to the dealer about 8 times to try and resolve a BAD sounding creaking noise that came from the front end. Had a whole new front end (suspension etc..) and still couldn't fix it. This was brand new too, so I know it wasn't a previous owner to blame. A shame really, I only kept the car for 12 months before swapping it, a shame, I probably won't buy a french car ever again.

18. jb0o

jb0o North East Forum Moderator Site Sponsor Regional Rep VCDS Map User

French cars are a strange breed. Some will be fine, others not so.

My girlfriends got a '53 Megane and that hasnt had one problem, but her mate has had 2 Meganes, both of which turned into a ball of fire.

19. N8

I can agree with that, german is the way forward though, for sure.

20. Jason85

Jason85 New Member

I have just had the pleasure of borrowing a company Audi for a day while on business.

57 plate Avus silver A3 sportback 170PS Sline with DSG.

Heated leather was fantastic, seats were comfy, had 50k miles on it.

now its the 1st time i have ever driven DSG and was a while in figuring out the gearbox.

am i right in saying its best to use it in +/-mode? it auto changes down to 1 when you stop.

when on D mode, you can change it down but it auto adjusts back to a sensible gear

S mode i assume is sports mode, revving at 4k rpm in most gears, changing up to a high gear it keeps on changing down?

i guess my only gripe with the auto is the slight hesitatin from foot down to moving, theres nothing then a burst which equates to wheel spin.

i must say changing gear whilst having foot on throttle was a new experience and the speed it can go up and down.

very expensive tho, how do the 140ps compare?