1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to Detailing

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by fugel, Jun 14, 2011.

1. fugel

fugel New Member

[Jun 14, 2011]
    I've just bought an Audi A4 S-Line Phantom Black 2008 model and want to get into a routine of giving it a proper wash and polish. Looking to get the wet look finish, as I think this complements the colour of the car. Probably looking at mid-range priced products, as an idea of cost.

Looking for some advice on the products I should be buying and the routine I should be under-going. Below is what I have done previously on my old car.

Kaarcher Jet wash to remove loose dirt
    Meguiars NXT Generation Car Wash Applied with Kaarcher and then hand washed using mitten
    Clean wheels with Turtle Wax Extreme Nano-Tech Wheel Cleaner
    Dry car with chamois leather
    Apply Meguiars NXT Generation Tech Wax using Megs foam applicator
    Polish off wax using polish mitten

Let me know if the above process is not right or if I am missing a step.

Been reading a lot of threads on this forum and have felt quite inspired to go the extra step in my cleaning routine, as the results look fantastic.

Thanks, Sean.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. S4twiggy

S4twiggy Fully Certified Detailer!!

[Jun 14, 2011]
    hi sean.

best thing for you to get imo is the correct cleaning gear first. i.e ditch the leather chamois as this will incure damage to the paint. get your self a few good quality microfibre cloths and a decent microfibre drying towel.

a good polish like menzerna final finish will give you the shine your after but its all about prepping the paint first. first of all a good wash routine is vital so wash via the 2 bucket method and a good quality lambs wool wash mitt. the car needs a good claying session to remove all contaminents from the paint beofre you apply any product. i would go into tar and glue but that can come in time.

once the car is as clean as it can be then you can start with the polish, once buffed off then a glaze would be good such as poorboys black hole to give you an extra gloss factor. then comes the LSP(last stage protection) which will be a good wax. all depends on what your budget is but DODO juice purple haze will give you the protection you need or if you want a sealant will give extra protection such as chemical guys black light.

also a good pre wax cleaner will do the paint good
    Dodo Juice - Lime Prime

heres a few links for you to read
    CleanYourCar 'Fluffy' Drying Towel
    Eurow - Sheepskin Wash Mitt (rubber inner glove)
    Zaino Z-18 ClayBar
    Menzerna Final Finish PO85RD
    PoorBoys - Black Hole
    Chemical Guys - Pete's 53 Paste Wax
    Dodo Juice - Purple Haze

hope this helps mate, if you need any more advice then drop me a pm and i can go into it a bit deeper for you

cheers
    Grant
  4. drmole

drmole Active Member

[Jun 14, 2011]
    first up bin the chammy!
    I take it ur gunna b detailing by hand?
  5. drmole

drmole Active Member

[Jun 14, 2011]
    bugger beat me to it nice 1 grant saved me typing tha lmao
  6. S4twiggy

S4twiggy Fully Certified Detailer!!

[Jun 14, 2011]
    lol i was wondering if i was gona be first to reply as i was typing for a bit lol.

text me again dar as i got my phone back today and lost numbers again dude
  7. fugel

fugel New Member

[Jun 14, 2011]
    cheers for the suggestions - will take a look at those links. Will definitely ditch the chammy..!! :)

Never used a clay bar before, as I was a bit nervous about potentially damaging the car. Is it relatively easy to get to grips with?
  8. drmole

drmole Active Member

[Jun 14, 2011]
    it is mate as with most things in life its all about the lube and enough of it lol
  9. FranA3

FranA3 events moderator Regional Rep

[Jun 14, 2011]
    agree with grant i use dodo juice on my own car its awesome stuff they do different waxes for different colour paints and the use a very good carnuba content per pot it brings out the red in mine very well , but it all depends on how much time and money you want to spend really there are so many good products out there on the market these days its hard to say witch one is best but we all have our favs dont we
  10. John @ PB

John @ PB Member