1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to car cleaning

Discussion in 'Detailing - Sponsored by Slim's Detailing' started by Robhullfury, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Robhullfury

Robhullfury New Member

As the thread title. Bought an a3 last week and vowed to look after it what stuff do need to get started. Read about machine polishing and clay bars? I normally just chuck a bucket of soapy water all over the car and wipe then hose it off. I have got one of those hydra blades but felt like it was scratching my old car all the time so if anybody has any recommendations on chamois to buy/avoid. Don't mind spending a few quid if it'll last and keep it looking nice and clean.

thank you in advance
    rob

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Jack_tdi

Jack_tdi Member

This hobby can become seriously expensive once your hooked lol

I wouldn't call my self an expert but I use muc off über shine with a sponge or two I have a grate for the bottom of the bucket too so the sponges don't pick up any grit.

If its totally covered use a pressure washer to take the major stuff off.

Bilt Bamber auto clay i use this and rate it very highly a great price too!

The new formula auto glym super resin polish (SRP) is a good start to hand polish with. Not really done much with a machine so couldn't help you there.

And see the stickies in this section for waxes there's some great pointers there.

Like I said I'm not expert but when some one like Jen from juicy detailing or n8 from kowalski sees this they will give you better and professional advice.

4. Jack_tdi

Jack_tdi Member

5. gen.heinz guderian

gen.heinz guderian Well-Known Member
    Regional Rep VCDS Map User

Dont use a chamois or a sponge ,use 2 bucket method with grit guards, using proper wash mitt and drying towels for wiping it down.

6. voorhees

voorhees Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Team Brill Red Black Edition

I remember the story of a members neighbour cleaning his new jag with a washing up sponge and when he came to a stubborn bit he used the green scourer bit :slapped:

7. scotty76

scotty76 Well-Known Member
    Audi S4

I think the best answer I can give is to ask a question. :) Do you want to sort it out yourself? Things like machine polishing require time and patience. What I mean by this is rather than buying tons of new stuff and spending a lot of money, would you be better paying a professional detailer to sort the car out and then spend a lot less money buying a good wash mitt and shampoo and keeping on top of it?

So, what would you like to achieve?

8. Robhullfury

Robhullfury New Member

What im really after is just keeping it clean and well polished. My vectra i just sold have alot of tar on it etc and i was hoping to keep the audi cleaner and well maintained bodywork wise. maybe machine polished is ott. But thinking of a clay stick some decent polish and soap etc.... What products really should i be looking at and essentials really. Could do with recommendatilons on interior cleaning products too. I have a son who likes to kick his feet on chairs and a wife who feeds him in his carseat grrrrr.

9. rOb_A

rOb_A Active Member

thats great LOL :laugh:

10. Luke2.0tdi2010

Luke2.0tdi2010 Active Member

+1...... Got 'hooked' about a month ago, there's no going back for me now, I'm like a detailing junkie, can't get enough of it, however me and my family now live on bread and water...lol

First thing I'd suggest (as I was advised) is get RID of sponge and flexiblade! ASAP.... Those two words are like blasphemy of the detailing world!!

Robhullfury likes this.
  11. Luke2.0tdi2010

12. Robhullfury

Robhullfury New Member

roger there off to the wifes bucket of cleaning stuff (which never gets used)

ill have a read of the articles. Thanks all.
    rob

13. Luke2.0tdi2010

I hope she's got more than one bucket as (when you read the articles) you'll notice only using one bucket is another no no

14. johnnythepie

johnnythepie Well-Known Member

15. scotty76

scotty76 Well-Known Member
    Audi S4

I'm going to "out" myself here and say I only use one bucket with a grit guard. There, I've said it. :) I do use a pre-wash and pressure washer rinse first.

I can see you got lots of useful pointers Rob and the Polished Bliss guide is a great place to start. If you have issues again with tar it might be worth taking a look at CarPro Trix. This is a useful 2-in-1 product that will get rid of tar and Iron contamination.

Other than that, have a read. See what suits you and ask questions here. We're happy to help.

16. Alan H

Alan H Need a V8 or Bi-Turbo.......

just go to A world for detailers...

17. Luke2.0tdi2010

Scotty, I'm lost for words!! Lol after all you've taught me how could you! Haha

18. Luke2.0tdi2010

Next you'll be telling us your using a yellow sponge that you dropped and continued to use!

19. AUDI_ADDICT

AUDI_ADDICT Member

Amen! If nothing else...this should be the fundamentals of car washing! After seeing the colour the rinse bucket gets after a wash on a relatively clean car I dare think what damage can be done on a filthy motor!

Im tempted to go down to my local £5 car wash and educate them myself!!