New to Audi - Be Gentle Please

Liam86

Reaction score
Good evening,

I am on the verge of purchasing my first Audi, 2008 2ltr TDI Sportsback,, 78k on clock. No leather trim or anything fancy, just standard 6 speed gear box 140bhp.

Now my mates are telling me don't be silly as they all hate Audi's especially the one I'm getting, I have a 5k budget and this is the best I've found and left a deposit on it (Which I don't mind losing if another comes up before Tuesday)

Here is the link to the car ive left a deposit on: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201605053652976?price-to=5000&page=1&year-from=2008&onesearchad=new,nearlynew,used&sort=default&postcode=wn75hd&search-target=usedcars&maximum-mileage=up_to_80000_miles&body-type=hatchback&radius=20&searchcontext=default&make=audi&logcode=p

I have a few questions:

1) Is this a good price for an Audi of the spec?
2) How are the engines on these?
3) Could I fit the new strip headlights on this without having to change the bumper, wings etc
4) Do you know of any better Audi's A3 about on a budget of 5k max.

I am a family man and my hobby leads me to the 4 corners of the UK so I'm looking for reliability and fuel economy as well as something that has a bit of punch and looks nice, I wish I could find an S3 for 5k.
I don't really want anything more than 2ltr as the insurance will be buggar me.

Look forward to hearing your opinions.

Kindest regards,
Liam

Walk away as Audis are rubbish

:D

Reactions: CHEZ and Sandra
Hi Liam, welcome to audi-sport.net

Reactions: Liam86
Forgot to mention, my mates are dim ha !!

Welcome to Audi-Sport. The ad mentions that the car has cruise control which I don't think it has; there is no cruise control stalk below the indicator, so do bear this in mind. You can definitely get good fuel economy from a 2.0TDi, it likes being on the motorway and has good torque. It's not a bad price but if you can get that for 4500-4600 it would be a good deal especially if it has had a new clutch. Saying that, check to see if the flywheel has been changed at the same time too. Proper receipts for the work is what you want to see on a used car like this.

The 2.0TDI engine in a 2008 model may be the last of the PD (pump jet injector diesel engines), but I'm sure someone on here can confirm that for me. It offers a very good combination of fuel economy and performance. Being a 2008 model it will most probably have a DPF fitted. As has been said on this forum multiple times before, DPFs can be problematic if the car doesn't get warmed up frequently/or car is used on very short journeys. The DPF needs to get hot enough for the particulates to be burnt off/for the filter to regenerate. So take it on a longer drive every week or fortnight. But if you are going to the "4 corners of the UK", this will not be a problem for you.

There is a known issue with the Oil Pump Hex-Key drive, however I'm not sure if that is for the common rail engines rather than the PD engines. Have a look in this forum section, there was a recent thread talking about this very issue, so it may or may not apply to you.

If you want to fit the new-style headlamps I reckon you will have to change the wings, bonnet and bumper too. You can always get aftermarket headlamps to get a similar effect (I'd save the money and leave that for spending on other useful bits/servicing etc.) Fitting cruise control would probably cost you around 150 quid (new parts and labour).

I'm sure there are more Audis out there with a better spec for a similar price (e.g. S-Line models, or even SE models with more kit fitted). You will probably appreciate the comfier SE suspension and 17s that this particular model has if you do longer commutes! Obviously 78k miles is around 10k miles a year which is average mileage for a 2008 car.

Reactions: voorhees and Liam86
Thanks for the in depth reply DJ, good spot on the cruise control, that was a deciding factor on this car due to the long distances I travel. I have done 600 mile since yesterday so I would like it. Maybe that will help me bring down the price to £4,600/700 as you say. (I'm genuinely gutted now tbh)

I have spent the last 4 days, up until stupid o clock searching ebay and autotrader but to no avail in relation to finding a better model.

I will take a look at the points you mentioned, I have been browsing for a couple of days but its hard to tell which applies to which models etc.
Its been a long time since I looked this much into a new car if I'm honest so I'm very rusty.

Kind regards,
Liam

Liam, is your budget flexible? Have a look in our classifieds section, there are a few a3's in there, but more than 5k though but worth a look to see what spec you can get.

Thanks for the in depth reply DJ, good spot on the cruise control, that was a deciding factor on this car due to the long distances I travel. I have done 600 mile since yesterday so I would like it. Maybe that will help me bring down the price to £4,600/700 as you say. (I'm genuinely gutted now tbh)

I have spent the last 4 days, up until stupid o clock searching ebay and autotrader but to no avail in relation to finding a better model.

I will take a look at the points you mentioned, I have been browsing for a couple of days but its hard to tell which applies to which models etc.
Its been a long time since I looked this much into a new car if I'm honest so I'm very rusty.

Kind regards,
Liam

You are welcome. I would look at trying to get a good base car to begin with (good service history, good mechanical condition etc.) for a good price. Don't worry if it is missing one or two options here or there, because you'd be surprised at how many things can be retro-fitted! Cruise control retrofit kit is offered from Audi/All VAG dealers for around £100 new (best person to ask is Mike on here (mjr901) through the Parts Request system (or message him) who can supply it to you directly. Fitting it would be around £50 as an estimate and there are quite a few members who can do it for you, e.g. NHN, Ash187 and more.

Keep an eye on this 8P section for the particular model you are after. The 8P generation is split into 3 further sub-generations:

8P1 - 2003-2005
8P2 - 2005-2008ish
8P3 - 2009-2012

Have a look on the classifieds section on the forum and also pistonheads too.

Liam, is your budget flexible? Have a look in our classifieds section, there are a few a3's in there, but more than 5k though but worth a look to see what spec you can get.

I'm struggling to find that section for cars for sale :-s

You are welcome. I would look at trying to get a good base car to begin with (good service history, good mechanical condition etc.) for a good price. Don't worry if it is missing one or two options here or there, because you'd be surprised at how many things can be retro-fitted! Cruise control retrofit kit is offered from Audi/All VAG dealers for around £100 new (best person to ask is Mike on here (mjr901) through the Parts Request system (or message him) who can supply it to you directly. Fitting it would be around £50 as an estimate and there are quite a few members who can do it for you, e.g. NHN, Ash187 and more.

Keep an eye on this 8P section for the particular model you are after. The 8P generation is split into 3 further sub-generations:

8P1 - 2003-2005
8P2 - 2005-2008ish
8P3 - 2009-2012

Have a look on the classifieds section on the forum and also pistonheads too.

Brilliant, thanks a lot. Ideally I would like a car that has the majority of what I want, I'm not that fussed about leather interior but the cruise control was a must. Typical aint it :-s

I'm going looking at this tonight. Hopefully it's as good as the owner says it is. Fingers crossed.

Media 4
Media 2

Reactions: DJ_26 and voorhees
Im sure on the advert it said 140, and it doesnt tell me what brake on HPI report ive done, but im questioning it as it as straight Exhaust pipes and i thought the 140bhp exhaust pointed down?

IGNORE THE ABOVE, JUST DONE A DUMMY INSURANCE QUOTE AND ITS 138bhp. Phew

Last edited:
That looks pretty nice, the A5 wheels suit the sportback model as do the silver rails and mirrors.

It's now sat on my drive, nice example and we'll looked after.

Happy man :)

Reactions: DJ_26 and Samy boi
To be honest I havnt. I will tidy it up, glove box hinge needs doing.

Got a screw In back tyre which il get done tomorrow along with the tracking as it wobbled a bit on drive home.

I'm a family man so it will have kids jumping around it in and dogs in boot. It has enough mods already, I won't have time to really get stuck into it like I would have 10 years ago.

Just appreacite her for what she is haha.

To be honest I havnt. I will tidy it up, glove box hinge needs doing.

Got a screw In back tyre which il get done tomorrow along with the tracking as it wobbled a bit on drive home.

I'm a family man so it will have kids jumping around it in and dogs in boot. It has enough mods already, I won't have time to really get stuck into it like I would have 10 years ago.

Just appreacite her for what she is haha.

Congratulations mate. Good call on getting the tracking done asap, the bolts in my rear suspension arms were seized and so tracking couldn't be done! This was rectified with some new arms and new bolts. The old ones wouldn't even budge with heat!

To get you started; a guide on repairing the glovebox that I saved a while ago. It may be useful for you:

So what good extras does the car come with?

I'm not sure if I'm honest. I know it's got a decent pair of wheels and new front and rear lights. Not sure if it has been lowered a little, oh and it's got a different exhaust but I don't know which type but they aint pointing down like a 14.

Had balancing done this morning, that fixed the wobble.

Now for a good going over by my mate.

Attachments

• IMG_20160602_131853.jpg
    IMG_20160602_131853.jpg
    622.7 KB · Views: 122
I'm not sure if I'm honest. I know it's got a decent pair of wheels and new front and rear lights. Not sure if it has been lowered a little, oh and it's got a different exhaust but I don't know which type but they aint pointing down like a 14.

Had balancing done this morning, that fixed the wobble.

Now for a good going over by my mate.
The exhaust is normal, your car has DPF so they don't have to point down, it's only the 140 bhp with no DPF that points to the floor.
Looks tidy mate enjoy it!

So ive fixed the glovebox, thanks for the link.

Next job is that my wind mirrors are actually sprayed silver and have started peeling are the silver bits easy to get off is my next question.

13680281 10153801852905662 2105964741558506476 o

Wing mirrors now fixed, now its time to look for a front grill.....not sure what type i like.....anyone got any pictures of their Black A3's with a nice front grill?