New Tire cost - anyone had to replace yet?

djoblong

Reaction score
So Friday afternoon coming back from a customer meeting I notice a strange wobbling in the steering. Hmmm... not good I say. On a motorway so takes me a few miles to pull off and find somewhere to stop. Back LH tire flat. Not completely flat but bascially there. Should I try to limp to a service station? Maybe it's just been let down but some *****... So I limp the service station and pull up at the air pump. Pumping away I notice bubbling along the rim of the tire. Not good. Gets up to about 25 PSi from 5 and psssssshshhhhtttt! Out comes the air. I find the culprit. Big hole that looks just like it was made by a screw. Great. I figure I'll try my direct line roadside assistance (could have tried Audi too for that matter) cause the last time this happened an AA chap came and gave me a running repair.

Anyway direct line sends a local motorshop guy. They can't do anything for me they tell me except whack on the spare. They tell me they think the tyre is salvageable. Where can I get it fixed (I only moved to the UK last year)? Kwikfit but they will just sell you the replacement because they don't do repairs. Hmmmm....

So driving home at 50 mph /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif and blow me down there's a Kwikfit. 5:45 and still looks open. Are you still open? Ermmm... Yeah I guess so. Great. I pull out the tyre. Whaddya know? He says it's screwed, he can tell it's been driven on flat and I definitely need a new one.

£149 later.... Ouch! damn fancy low profile tyres. Moral of the story. If you get a flat. Change it immediately!!!

Anyone managed to get a replacement tyre cheaper than that? Wanna let me know for next time?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Thanks - they have that same continental at £124. £25 saving would have been worthwhile but I guess I was paying for the convenience of doing it within half an hour of getting the flat at 5:45 on a Friday thus saving me a few ours of arseing about wasting my Saturday...