New side lights fitted

Jampublic said:
Well I have just had my LED side lights die!

So fitted them on the 23rd Nov replaced 23rd Jan, unsure about the life time!

But they look great!

Good luck all and thanks Buster!! lol

How did you do it? I am really stuck on this changing bulb thing. Have got PIAA Xtreme Force ones and have no idea how to fit them. Do you have to remove the battery and water bottle to get at them as I can see no way in getting in there, getting the cover off, and pulling out bulbs. Or am I being a ****?

no mate i had the same prob. u need to be an extornist to get em out. i tried and failed, so got the garage to do it when it went in for service. u do need to move the battery a bit tho.

It took me a while the first time, but yesterdays bulb failure was on the drivers side so more space! 5min job no worries!

I did remove the battery cover and loosen the battery to give my self more space, but just get a firm grip and pull'em out! On the drivers side I push down the cables, making it easier to get the back of the unit off then a good grip and pull'em out!

I wish i was able to give clear and concise instructions! :notme:

It is super tricky, but not that hard just keep trying!

Good luck!

I didnt have to move anything to get mine in and out. It took about 20 minutes for me to do 1st time (i was fanny'ing about :p).
But when I replaced the 2nd time it took about 3 minutes
The one on the right of my car was alot harder to do as the battery is in the way.

This is what I did for anyone else having trouble:
Unclip the black covers on the back of lights (I used my audi key to do this as it was much easier) which means you can take out the covers.
Have a look/feel around for the cable that is at the top of the light set, closest to the side of the car, this is your side light cable.
Give the cable a pull and it should pop out the side light aswell (connected to the end), mine didnt require any twisting/turning but I'm not sure if others are different.
Replace bulbs wiht the LEDs (check they work first before putting it back)
While looking at the front of the light (and your hand inside the bonnet), guide the led bulb back into the hole and push it until it clicks in.
Replace covers.

Its pretty simple, just have a good look and a fiddle about and you'll find its easy.

mine are dead, two and a half months.. ah well..

Unfortunately these 'cheaper' led ones do not last very long as i gathered from experience too. I have since replaced mine with PIAA 1W Terra's. Light output is way better than normal led ones and over a year later with having them on they are still perfect.
Yes they do cost a massive amount but worth it in the long run.

Mo-S3 said:
Unfortunately these 'cheaper' led ones do not last very long as i gathered from experience too. I have since replaced mine with PIAA 1W Terra's. Light output is way better than normal led ones and over a year later with having them on they are still perfect.
Yes they do cost a massive amount but worth it in the long run.

So i keep saying, mine ones are non terra & have lasted just as long with no problems at all.

PIAA 1W Terra's for £35 + postage if anyone wants the best of the best LED side lights

Guys,

Bought a set of the LED lights back in November from ebay and had my first MOT today. It failed because the guy said there weren’t white enough. Has this happened to anyone else?

Had to buy a standard set for it to pass its MOT, but definitely buying the LED ones again and changing them over ASAP.

leecs3 said:
bad luck. Heres pics of mine front and rear. Done all the interior lighting too. I wonder how difficult it would be to switch the dash illumination to blue!!!

Hi Lee,

i'm looking at doing the same bulb conversions as you, what bulbs are required for the interior and rear number plate lights?

cheers

Jon

I just ordered a set too..cant wait to get them..

Its a pity these won't work in my car, they just flash on an off at a regular interval.

:laugh: one post about these and how many of us have bought them now...lol

if we're still talking about the quad LEDs from EBay, my first 2 both failed at about 3-4 months. on the 2nd set now, we'll see how much they hold up. if these also go, i'm switching to PIAA, which has sidelights closer in color to my xenons anyway (4200K i think)

murph said:
Guys,

Bought a set of the LED lights back in November from ebay and had my first MOT today. It failed because the guy said there weren’t white enough. Has this happened to anyone else?

Had to buy a standard set for it to pass its MOT, but definitely buying the LED ones again and changing them over ASAP.

Had mine MOT last month, with LED bulb's in and passed no problem!

Surely normal side are more yellow, than white!!

Thats sucks, i even forgot about my german plates and still passed!