1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new s3/sat nav

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by Vanessa1, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Flibble

Flibble Member

Nav based cornering lights requires tech pack, you only get steering and indicator based cornering lights with SD nav.
  2. Vanessa1

Vanessa1 New Member

Sigh. When I was about to order, the car is gone. More waiting.

What does everyone think off ACC?
  3. Vanessa1

Vanessa1 New Member

Also, can I choose to have se suspension on s line?

Thank you x
  4. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member

Yes you can. It's a no cost option.

Also ACC is good especially in my case with my s-tronic gearbox. I used mine in a traffic queue for the first time last weekend and it's quite strange just letting the car move forward in the queue without needing to touch any controls. I also find it good in, for example, road works speed limits when you can set it to match the limit but if the car in front is going slightly slower it will just keep the correct distance apart. With conventional cruise control you would have to apply the brakes as you got closer which would cancel the cruise control.
  5. Vanessa1

Vanessa1 New Member

V impressed!! It moves itself in traffic. I thought it only works over 30mph for some reason. I hope I can find one that has got acc. That'd really help for London traffic. Is it reliable though? I don't want to crash relying to it.

Would anyone recommend switching to SE suspension if it's no extra cost?
  6. seniorjj

seniorjj Member

Nope the LEDs light up side street based on speed and indicators (nothing to do with sat nav)
  7. MatthewB

MatthewB New Member

Re. ACC, it only goes to a stop with s-tronic. In my manual it cuts out below a certain speed (more like 15mph than 30mph I think). In spite of that, I still find it incredibly useful and reliable, though if you're doing a lot of city driving I'd imagine the combo of the two would be fantastic (I don't). You definitely need to learn how it works and be prepared to deactivate it when appropriate.

I "downgraded" my A3 to SE suspension, my wife has Sports on her A1 and we much prefer mine, but I haven't tested the A3 Sports to compare (which might be nothing like the A1), and all such things are subjective anyway I guess...
  8. jimmydougle

jimmydougle Member

The thing with Sat Nav's is that you can go down to Halfords and buy a Tom Tom for £100 (Halfords). If that Tom Tom breaks you can go back and get one 14 more times before you break even on buying the built in 3D MMI one with Audi. Also, most smart phones have a sat nav built in these days, therefore negating that £100 Tom Tom cost anyway.

The SD card one is more viable as that's only £500, I say "only" rather loosely as it's still a lot for a sat nav.
  9. seniorjj

seniorjj Member

Its not £500, it's £212 retrofit for a 2013 maps card
  10. chrisboyle999

chrisboyle999 Member

Audi have rather handily provided a flat pop up surface for you to 'lick and stick' your halfrauds device to.

And listen to it giving directions in a Homer Simpson accent.

Or the Terminator.
  11. jimmydougle

jimmydougle Member

Why would it be £212 to retrofit the SD card sat nav when it initially costs £495 to fit from the factory? That doesn't make any sense...
  12. seniorjj

seniorjj Member

Because Audi need to make margin - please read earlier on in this post - its also on other posts re this. Acitvation is only £168, then its just the cost of the original SD card you need to cover (ebay)
  13. Vanessa1

Vanessa1 New Member

So finally I found a stock car. I realised that many good stock car comes up. In the end, this is what I went for:

A3 S line 1.4 cylinder on demand 140ps
    Daytona Grey
    Technology pack
    Comfort pack
    Folded mirrors
    Panoramic Sunroof
    Heated seat
    Privacy windows
    Front parking sensors

It is arriving soon. My first audi. I'm v excited. Does anyone know if the sat nav in tech pack include Google map sync? Why cost 1795?
  14. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

Nice colour, brilliant engine and good specs. No the tech pack without connect does not have google maps...
  15. illingworth22

illingworth22 Active Member

If you have Connect and the Tech pack (i.e. you can put a 3G/4G sim card in the car) you have Google Maps!
  16. chrisboyle999

chrisboyle999 Member

For £1795 I think you will have the connect and therefore Google mapping facility.
    If it's €1795 then maybe not.
  17. illingworth22

illingworth22 Active Member

My invoice said the following....

MMI Navigation Plus 2,761 euro
    Audi Connect 798 euro
    Bang & Olufsen 1,261 euro

and I have Google Maps
  18. Vanessa1

Vanessa1 New Member

It is £1795. So what is connect for? Can I just put any sim card in?
  19. Vanessa1

Vanessa1 New Member

Just found an email from the sales person. I do have connect. How is it different from the normal sat nav which I don't know. I guess I'm lucky the stock car comes with it.

The technology package contains the following.

Technology package with Mobile telephone preparation - High with Audi Connect. Includes Technology package
    (PNQ) and Colour Driver’s Information System (DIS) (9S6). Audi connect provides access to a number of innovative
    online services via an internal UMTS (3G) module. Audi connect online services include: navigation using Google Earth
    images and Google Street View, destination entry via Google Maps or myAudi, online point of interest search and
    information services such as weather forecasts and the latest world news. Audi connect also includes Audi traffic
    information online, which gives accurate real-time forecasts of the traffic situation along the chosen route. The traffic
    situation can be displayed on the navigation map or Google Earth image. Audi connect can also create a Wi-Fi hotspot
    in the car for convenient internet access using a mobile device (e.g. laptop or tablet). Many Audi connect features can
    be simply operated via MMI Navigation Plus, the multi-function steering wheel or the voice control system.
    Important connectivity information: An external data source is required to enable the Audi connect online services.
    One of the two following external data sources can be used1:
    1. A mobile telephone with Bluetooth SIM Access Profile2
    2. A separate SIM card which can be inserted in the included SIM card reader. When a separate SIM card is used, hands
    free phone calls are possible using the SIM card or by connecting a different mobile telephone via Bluetooth Hands